RG3 Top Clamp

9 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted February 14, 2005 - 01:41 PM

I have chance to get an RG3 top clamp for my 04 -450. Does this clamp make any noticible difference :) Its for 7/8" bars and I guess they only come in the stock offset. It is going to make me beat RC outdoors :p :D :D Anyways any opinions will be greatly appreceated :)

• Satch0922

Posted February 14, 2005 - 02:01 PM

go eBay! Yes they make a difference in reducing vibration.

• Run-Run131

Posted February 17, 2005 - 06:42 AM

I recently went to an RG3 top clamp on my '04 (1 1/8" bars)...it was quite an improvment over the stock (solid mounted) clamps. :)

• simch

Posted February 17, 2005 - 01:05 PM

Mine has made a difference. Mind you I went to high inch and eighths at the same time.

• jimmyg

Posted February 17, 2005 - 01:11 PM

i probably will never own another bike without them! :D :D :) :p :o :) ;)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ChasYZF

Posted February 17, 2005 - 01:18 PM

I put RG3 upper clamp on my '03 YZ450F and it does perform better than the stock clamps. Be advised that if you lay your bike down you'll probably notice that the handlebars are off center due to the four point rubber mount bar clamps on the RG3. Don't buy new rubber inserts, just disassemble the bar clamps and reassemble. The bars should line back up no problem unless you really smack the bars hard due to a bad crash or something. :)

• Kevin_S

Posted February 18, 2005 - 02:37 AM

I started using RG3 clamps on my 03 YZ450 a couple of years ago. They have also set-up the suspension on my last 3 bikes for me.

Because I have been using those clamps for so long, I don't remember what it was like to not have them on my bike.

Recently, a friend purchased an 05' YZ450 and we swapped rides for awhile and I couldn't wait to get back to my bike. It was not having the clamps on the new bike that made it feel "hard" and it vibrated quite abit more than I was used to.

Kevin

• Ga426owner

Posted February 18, 2005 - 06:23 AM

I put RG3 upper clamp on my '03 YZ450F and it does perform better than the stock clamps. Be advised that if you lay your bike down you'll probably notice that the handlebars are off center due to the four point rubber mount bar clamps on the RG3. Don't buy new rubber inserts, just disassemble the bar clamps and reassemble. The bars should line back up no problem unless you really smack the bars hard due to a bad crash or something. :)

Good point ChasYZF... I use top and bottom on my 03 - I love these Clamps -bikes without them feel terrible, now I am spoiled....on RG3
I have had a couple of bad high speed get offs and I have yet to destroy the rubber inserts....I just loosen all the top clamp bolts - "jiggle" the bars back and forth until straight and retighten...good as new! :)

• stealman

Posted February 18, 2005 - 01:03 PM

What is the reason for useing the bottom clamp? What does it do different from the stock one? Thanks.

• Kevin_S

Posted February 19, 2005 - 06:57 AM

The reason that I used the bottom one was 2 reasons:

1) At the time that I purchased the top clamp, my lower clamp bearing was rusted after a whopping 6 months after my purchase. I couldn't manually remove the bearing and needed to take it to a shop for special tools to have them remove what was left of it after my attempts at removal. So, to have the bearing replaced, it would have been 2 trips to RG3 (about 20 minutes from my house). I was lazy, so I just added the lowers to the order.

and,

2) They match in color and type of material. All I had to do was call RG3 and have them add that pretty new one to my order and at that time I was able to pick up both clamps, the new installed bearing, and my forks and shocks that were tuned for me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.