Will '06 have aluminum frame??

6 replies to this topic
  • Trauma

Posted February 14, 2005 - 11:28 AM

Does anybody know if the '06 WR will have an aluminum frame, or will it just be the yzf? I have an '03 wr250f and want to add a 450 to the family. I am either going to get an '05 or an '06, but if the '06 is for sure going to have the aluminum, then I will wait. That is the deciding factor. Any thoughts?

• ncmountainman

Posted February 14, 2005 - 11:38 AM

my thought is , after they changed the frame geometry on the wr's they will keep them steel. after all they are the red headed stepchild when it comes to the new parts. the yzf's will more than likely be almuminum if for no other reason than to keep up with the competition. :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 14, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Does anybody know if the '06 WR will have an aluminum frame, or will it just be the yzf? I have an '03 wr250f and want to add a 450 to the family. I am either going to get an '05 or an '06, but if the '06 is for sure going to have the aluminum, then I will wait. That is the deciding factor. Any thoughts?

Yamaha won't officially announce anything on the new models until June. However, the local Yamaha shop says (according to the Regional Yamaha Rep) that both the YZ and WR thumpers will have aluminum frames for 2006.

He was absolutely tight-lipped, however, when asked about a five-speed tranny on the YZ450 for 2006. The earliest he said he could say anything would be May.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motodude42

Posted February 14, 2005 - 11:43 AM

I am not sure how reliable the information is but a local dealer said that they don't see the aluminum frame coming to the four strokes next year especially after all the mods to the current frame. That is not facts though. More gut feeling. :)

• kenwen

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:31 AM

When I had my suspension done by RaceTech ( they do suspension R&D for Team Yamaha ) a couple of months ago Dominick told me that the YZ will have the aluminum frame for "06" and the WR not until "07". He said that the reasoning behind that was the YZ needs to keep up with the compitition on the track and WR has just had a frame change. Hope that helps Trauma.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:15 AM

If I were to guess I would say that the YZ450 will get the new frame while the WR would stay steel for another year.

• NewBlue

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Aluminum is great, no rust and strong. It isn't everything though. Ask the people that ride road bicycles. Steel has some very real benefits in certain applications. Steel flexes well, aluminum doesn't. As for me my rode bicycle is carbon fiber, it seems to have the best of both worlds. As for racing, I firmly believe it has more to do with the indian; than the arrow. Ride hard, ride fast, and see that line before the other guy does. OUT!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.