Fabricated Sub Tank setup

7 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2005 - 10:19 AM

Last October, JohnB posted regarding a sub tank setup he put together himself. The cool thing was that he had part source information and so on to go with everthing else. Here's the setup I built based on what I gathered from that thread.

Sub Tank

As you can see, I chose to use a single tank setup like Too Tech's. It works very well. It's the most noticeable over the smaller irregularities and up to mid stroke kinds of impacts, and it's rather like having a separate high/low speed compression adjustment on the fork. It does tend to soften the feel some even on the really big stuff, too, but perhaps not as much. The fork is much less harsh now than without the tank, and I haven't even played with the valves and clickers much yet at all. Well worth the $90 I spent, I think.

The air reservoirs are from Bimba. Look for them in the Original Line catalog under Air Reserviors. You'll need to find a distributor for them to order from. There's a list at the site.
The valves are flow control valves from Polyconn

:)

• JohnB

Posted February 14, 2005 - 01:35 PM

Looks good...
I have a question tho. Why two Polyconn valves for one tank? I think by running a "Y" from the forks into one Polyconn valve should work. Then, on the other end of your tank, install the schrader valve. Yes?? - No??

With two valves, the air is being pushed into the tank and back out through the other valve. The valve would not be controlling the airflow. Maybe I got it wrong but it seems like it would be working against one another.

• 642MX

Posted February 14, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Looks very professional. :)

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2005 - 02:08 PM

Looks good...
I have a question tho. Why two Polyconn valves for one tank? I think by running a "Y" from the forks into one Polyconn valve should work. Then, on the other end of your tank, install the schrader valve. Yes?? - No??

With two valves, the air is being pushed into the tank and back out through the other valve. The valve would not be controlling the airflow. Maybe I got it wrong but it seems like it would be working against one another.

I thought about running a single valve, but the plumbing seemed like it would be messy, maybe not. I wanted the lines to have as few high and low spots in their runs as possible so that it would help the tank drain itself, as I noted. But I might try that on the 250, just for fun. I was also concerned about the flow capacity of each valve, and whether I might exceed it by using a single valve for both forks.

Each valve is going to meter air going into the tank based on the needle screw adjustment. Since both forks will be "sending" air to the tank at the same time, the volume exhausted from each should be pretty equal. Then, as they extend, the check valve within the flow control valve will allow air back to both forks freely, bypassing the needle. Again, since both forks act together, the common tank will do no more than balance pressure between the tubes. If they were independent, a single tank wouldn't work at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riderman329

Posted February 14, 2005 - 02:18 PM

yep looks good, but how is your oil drain? it looks like you might have a problem with your lines arc, so high. also how's your fitting holding up, no leaks?

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2005 - 02:47 PM

No leaks. I'll check for oil accumulation and see what that looks like after I get the bike cleaned up. Mud in the SoCal desert, who would have thought? :) :)

• yz_for_me

Posted February 14, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Looks good grayracer. Very clean. I'm curious, how sensitive are those Polycon valves? I made a subtank setup using Bimba valves and they are very sensitive to even small adjustments. 1/4 turn on the Bimba valves makes a very noticable change. Are the Polycon valves the same way? One other question: Did you have to tap your fork caps at an angle or were you able to drill and tap them straight? Also, did you tap them 1/8 NPT?

Here's my setup. I've been very happy with it on my 426. I'll be switching it over to my 450 one of these days.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'm curious, how sensitive are those Polycon valves? I made a subtank setup using Bimba valves and they are very sensitive to even small adjustments. 1/4 turn on the Bimba valves makes a very noticable change. Are the Polycon valves the same way? One other question: Did you have to tap your fork caps at an angle or were you able to drill and tap them straight? Also, did you tap them 1/8 NPT?

That was one of the things that attracted me to them. When JohnB mentioned he was going to try them, I noticed in their info that the valves had a higher max flow rate, and appeared to have a longer curve of control in terms of number of turns from closed to any particular flow rate. They don't seem very touchy at this point. Another nice feature is that you can choose which direction the flow is controlled. I odered the valve reversed from standard to make it work better with my layout. That information is in the Polyconn pdf catalog on the page listing the valves.

I decided that I would need to angle the fittings slightly in order to clear the 19mm hex on the fork cap. One of them ended up tapped at very little angle but still clears. I think it's necessary to run the drill in at about 3-5 degrees, depending on the fitting you are going to use. They were tapped 1/8 NPT, yes.

Nice solution on your bracket, BTW. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.