Stage 2 Cam, what else do I try?

1 reply to this topic
  • AdamW

Posted February 14, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I am in the process of aquiring a Stage 2 hotcam for my 650R. Many suggest a higher comp piston to complement this.
1) Has anyone had any experience with these mods?
2) Do I understand that my stock valve train can be used?
3) Are there any valve/piston clearance issues with an 11:1?
4) Should I be concerned with the stock cam chain reliability?

Thank you for any input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:46 AM

1) Not yet.

2) Yes, stock valve train components can be used as long as they're in good shape.

3) If you're using anything other than the stock piston or using any other cam besides the HotCam, then I'd definitely do a clay check to make sure you won't have clearance issues. That's something I just don't trust anybody on even if they say they put it together and it worked fine because you just can't be too careful when you're dealing with valve / piston clearance issues.

4) I personally wouldn't worry too much about the stock cam chain, but depending on how much the bike is used, I'd check it from time to time just to be safe. If I was riding 10,000+ off road miles each year, I'd check my cam chain once a year to make sure it was still in spec. I ride much less than 10,000 miles per year and plan to check my cam chain every other year. I'll probably be checking my cam chain sooner, but only because I'll be installing a stage 2 HotCam sometime later this year.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.