she lives again

10 replies to this topic
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted February 13, 2005 - 11:44 PM

my baby breathes fire again. started her up again for the first time since right before i seized it at glamis thanksgiving weekend. started up second kick. since when i first took it apart and found out i needed to replace the crank bearings and the bearing on the big end of the rod, i decided that i should also get a hi-comp piston and a hot cams auto-decomp exhaust. loving it. i rode it very briefly today(i still have my paddle on), just to make sure everything was good. because of this i wasnt able to really check to see how the jetting is. should i need to change anything because of the hi-comp piston? im not going to know for sure how it runs until this weekend in glamis but if any of you know of something i might need to do it would really help that way i can be prepared for it this weekend. thanks for the help guys.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted February 14, 2005 - 04:32 PM

ok, so today i was going over the whole bike making sure that everything was torque'd and tightened from putting the motor back in. after i did that i started'er up. started first kick. it never did this before but once it was running it started to blow smoke. blue smoke. like it was burning oil. what could be causing this? thanks for the help guys.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:00 PM

If it's just a little then that may be normal on the first run after a rebuild, but it should stop fairly quickly. If it's dumping smoke or in a worst case passing raw oil out the exhaust then you may have a problem.

Were you sure that all of the ring gaps were not in the same location on the piston?

• g-side

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:03 PM

Just a thought, but I had a buddy once rebuild his XR and installed the rings upside down. The bike ran and he rode it for a bit, and it had blue smoke pouring out of it the whole time. Flipped the rings and he was smoke free.

• ISBB

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:45 PM

did you use any assembly lube or anything like that... could be burning off...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:47 PM

How do you "sieze" a '426?

• NAFLASH

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:53 PM

too hot is how, then everything just melts together

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:30 PM

ring gaps were good. they were checked several times. not much assembly lube was used. mostly oil. it only smokes for a little bit then once its warmed up it stops. rings were not upside down. im not sure whats up. ill have to check it out again tomorrow. thanks for the ideas guys.

• buck_y_lee

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Could it be too much air filter oil? I did this last week. Smoked a little when I gave it a good rev just after starting (ie - air rushing through the filter and taking some oil with it).

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:56 PM

no, dont think its that. if that were the case then wouldnt it have continued to smoke yesterday as i was riding it? i can try to take the filter off and start it. but i dont think it is that.

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 15, 2005 - 03:40 AM

Does it smoke only after sitting (on start-up), and only after idling? If yes, then it may be your valve stem seals.

A second thought; when you put the new piston & rings in, was the cylinder still in good shape (still round within spec, had cross hatch, etc..)? If not then the rings may not be seating correctly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.