Lower steering bearing removal

9 replies to this topic
  • jerryls

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:15 PM

I need help with the lower steering stem bearing. I just spent an hour reading all the old posts here and wrooster's piece on thumperfaq, but need some clarification.

My original lower bearing is toast. I managed to remove the portion with the cage and rollers. Now there is just the metal part that is pressed on the bottom of the stem (inner race bearing?). Does this part have to come off to replace the bearing? And if so, how in the world do I get it off? Hopefully something that doesn't involve taking it to the shop?

Thanks!

• Raistlin

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:32 PM

The only way I know to get off the inner bearing race if it is stuck is to take either a small cutting wheel, dremal works nice, and very carefully cut a line all the way from top to bottom. DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RACE. You do not want to cut the stearing stem. Just cut it almost all the way through then take a punch or chisel and hit it a couple of times. It should break at this point and come off......... :)

• basicblues

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:38 PM

The lower steering bearing is very difficult to remove. I punched around on mine for a while trying not to damage it so I could possibly use it again. I wound up taking it to a friend of mine who has a machine shop. He was able to take it off but the seal (washer) of the bottom was damaged and I wasn't happy with the way the bearing spun afterwards.

If your stock bearing is already toast, go for it and get the bearing off anyway you can but cutting it off as described above would probably be easiest. The new stock Yamaha bearing came with a new race so that wasn't a issue.

When I got ready to install the new bearing I placed the triple clamp in the freezer for a couple of hours and the new bearing was pretty easy to push into place with little effort. Good Luck...

• SteadyEddy

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:02 PM

He was able to take it off but the seal (washer) of the bottom was damaged and I wasn't happy with the way the bearing spun afterwards.

I'm just going through the same process :) , did you have to buy a new seal (washer) for the bottom?

• Raistlin

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Every time I have removed the lower bearing I have had to replace the seal (washer) at the bottom. I always seem to screw the darn thing up..... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted February 15, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Here's the method I use, which works great :)

http://www.appliedra.../stemremove.htm

http://www.appliedra...steminstall.htm

• SteadyEddy

Posted February 16, 2005 - 02:25 AM

No good, I don't have a dremell drill so I cant do it that way. I then try-ed to beat the shaft out through the bottom of the triple clamp... no luck either. :)
Ill just take it into the shop where they have the right tool for the job :)

• tammie

Posted February 16, 2005 - 05:12 AM

i just did mine.........had the same problem....couldn't get the lower bearing off, got the cage and rollers out........ended up just taking it to my local shop....didn't in for me no problem.....and also pressed out old races and pressed in the new ones.........

i actually had bought the "All Balls" steering bearing kit........came with both upper and lower bearings and races....and both upper and lower oil seals.........cost me only 35 bucks Canadian for this set.........

• bigdrtrdr

Posted February 16, 2005 - 08:33 AM

I use a 1" dia. 12" long steel drift. It just catches the lip on the lower race and smack it good with a small sledge hammer. Should pop right out.
The upper race is much easier its got a much larger area to contact with the drift.
Put the new races in the freezer for a while and they should slip right in w/o to much effort.
Good luck
Eric

• MotoWRat

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:03 AM

You have to hit it by going through the top of the steering stem. There's a pic in the manual.

I use a 1" dia. 12" long steel drift. It just catches the lip on the lower race and smack it good with a small sledge hammer. Should pop right out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.