wr426 Testimonial

6 replies to this topic
  • GC265

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Newbie here, recently picked up 01 wr426 (cut screw, lid off, 13/50). first ride...it rode me. Got on TT, did a little research (OK, a lot of research), then dropped the 3clamp 10mm, dialed in the sag. All I can say is WOW, this bike is awesome, handling is so much better. Goes where I want, when I want (operator induced error aside :D ).
I would have never figured this out on my own, thinking "If Yamaha set it up that way, it must be correct"

Anyway thanks to all here who make TT possible! And those who share their wisdom and experience! :) :p :)

• dirtr1der

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:25 PM

GC,

What did you dial in the sag at??? The suspension is the only thing I didn't mess with on mine last year. I bought an '02 last spring. The rider before me was the same weight, ( 200 lbs) just a bit shorter.

How about the damping and rebound? Did you mess with those?

Congrats on the getting your ride straight! :)

• r1superstar

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:29 PM

Newbie here, recently picked up 01 wr426 (cut screw, lid off, 13/50). first ride...it rode me. Got on TT, did a little research (OK, a lot of research), then dropped the 3clamp 10mm, dialed in the sag. All I can say is WOW, this bike is awesome, handling is so much better. Goes where I want, when I want (operator induced error aside :D ).
I would have never figured this out on my own, thinking "If Yamaha set it up that way, it must be correct"

Anyway thanks to all here who make TT possible! And those who share their wisdom and experience! :p :) :D

Congrats and Enjoy! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GC265

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:48 PM

I set the sag to 4", I know that's on the far end of the manual suggests, but I figured I would have to let out all the tension just so I wouldn't feel like a midget on a circus bike!
I can comfortably put my feet down and don't worry about bottoming..yet (I ride trails and fire roads), I'm 5'9 185
I probably won't mess with the rebound or damping for a little bit, I have some custom axis shocks on my quad and the adjustments are very easy to make, I had an easy time dialing in both compression and rebound (rebound taking the most "fiddling"). I know the suspension on this bike is "similar" but I feel like I'm wandering in a house of mirrors, I see a little screw here, a nut there, another little screw over there, this one adjusts that, that one adjusts this....I'm still taking it in.

And thanks R1

• Oasis_Flame

Posted February 14, 2005 - 01:02 PM

It only gets better! :)

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 14, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Ive been reading through the archives on the 426 as well and I didnt see anything on raising the fork tubes 10mm. Can you site your source or at least explain what problem you were having that this mod would have corrected for you?

Muchas gracias!

• GC265

Posted February 17, 2005 - 03:09 AM

NF, I don't recall the exact post where I picked up the fork tube tip, I was doing that primarily to lower the overall feel of the bike (I'm 5'9). The posts I read claimed better or more precise turning, I also noticed the bike turned better this way.
The possible downside to this is
1)I may bottom the front tire into the fender and
2)I may experience headshake at high speed.
I don't ride 5th gear wide open, and so far haven't bottomed. If I start getting into those problems, I'll know how to correct them.
I was amazed at the volumes of info when I started doing searches, there are some deep wells of info lurking around TT (shameless plug). Many of my questions had already been answered...I just had to look a little.

Sorry it took so long to get you an answer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.