FCR vs. Edelbrock

16 replies to this topic
  • hurricane jonny

Posted February 13, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Getting an xr 650 r soon. So let's hear it, which one? How much for each? I know where to get an FCR but not edelbrock. :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 13, 2005 - 07:34 PM

You can buy the Edelbrock right here at the Thumper Talk store. Also there is an outlet on E-Bay that sells them brand new (no bidding) just buy em. I bought mine right here on TT.

• Mikie1

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:48 PM

The FCR's from Sudco are different from the ones that come on CRF's (or YZ's or KTM's). And there are fitment issues (do a search- you'll see others have had to grind off part of the cam chain adjuster & re-shape their gas tanks). They may work a little better than the Edelbrock, but they sound like a major pain in the butt to get dialed in. There was a guy here on TT selling his a while ago- he just didn't like it.

The Edelbrock is a 15-minute swap out. I put mine on and it started first kick, and has done so almost every time since I installed it. I haven't had to so much as turn a screw.

The difference in low-rpm response and ease-of-starting is amazing. I can't imagine the FCR being any better, except that the slide is on rollers, but to me the throttle feels just fine with the Edelbrock. I have the FCR on my CRF450R and really can't feel much of a difference in the feel.

• hurricane jonny

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:19 AM

I heard that with the Edelbrock, if you drop the bike or lays on it's side, it doesn't flood the motor like everything else and usually starts right up. Plus it gets rid of the bottom end hiccup. Is this true? :)

• Misfit

Posted February 14, 2005 - 06:55 AM

I heard that with the Edelbrock, if you drop the bike or lays on it's side, it doesn't flood the motor like everything else and usually starts right up. Plus it gets rid of the bottom end hiccup. Is this true? :)

Yes that is true. Now if they only made one for the 650L :) O well ill have to settle for the FCR until then. :p

• Desert426

Posted February 15, 2005 - 04:18 PM

Check out Edelbrock's web site. They have one listed for the 650L. I have one on my WR426 and love it vs the FCR that came off. The FCR seemed to pull a little harder on top, but the Edelbrock was easier to tune, WAY easier to start and gave the motor somewhat of an "electric feel", very smooth power delivery.

• brrpr

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:48 PM

there are lots of other advantages to the edelbrock...better milage, better at altitude, external adjustments of pump and jet, nickel finish, cheaper, and better customer service...

i have the FCR on my new Husky and cant wait to put an edelbrock on it...jetting the FCR is a pain in the arse....plus i get horrible milage with it.

• big t

Posted February 15, 2005 - 08:50 PM

Edelbrock :) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • icebat

Posted February 16, 2005 - 07:10 AM

[COLOR=Sienna]The Edelbrock is a 15-minute swap out. I put mine on and it started first kick, and has done so almost every time since I installed it. I haven't had to so much as turn a screw. [/COLOR]

Is the Edelbrock carb set up for after the power up kit has been installed? Meaning I can just swap it out and not have to monkey with needles and jets?

• CAPSIL

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:35 AM

"Check out Edelbrock's web site. They have one listed for the 650L. I have one on my WR426 and love it vs the FCR that came off. The FCR seemed to pull a little harder on top, but the Edelbrock was easier to tune, WAY easier to start and gave the motor somewhat of an "electric feel", very smooth power delivery"

Do you think the 3117 would also fit the '05. Says to '04. :)

• Mikie1

Posted February 16, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Is the Edelbrock carb set up for after the power up kit has been installed? Meaning I can just swap it out and not have to monkey with needles and jets?

If by "Power Up Kit" you mean standard uncorking (drilled stock exhaust tip, intake manifold/carb insulator, airbox snorkels removed, air pump blocked off on CA models)-- Yes, if you get it from Barnums. At least that was my experience. Not sure about other sources.

• Desert426

Posted February 16, 2005 - 12:07 PM

In the edelbrock catalog it states " Works great with stock exhaust with HRC tip installed and opened up air box. Requires Honda Power-up manifold #16211-MBN-640.

For the guy with the '05 L model, I would call a Honda dealer and have the parts guy look to see if the 04 and 05 have the same carbs from the factory. I noticed Edelbrock is'nt to quick at updating literature. When I bought one for my 02, their listing was only updated to 00'.

• Misfit

Posted February 16, 2005 - 12:15 PM

I checked their site but I dont think that is a pumper carb but I could be wrong. I emailed denise barnum a few weeks back and she said they still were not available for the 650L.

• brrpr

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:41 PM

no need for monkeying around with needles and jets....becouse there arent any needles and jets-at least not in the conventional sense of the words.

the 'jet' is a single needle that is rasied and lowered by a single EXTERNAL knob on the top of the carb. adjusting the carb is about as difficult as turning on and off the petcock....unless you get dirt in the carb, there inst any reason to ever take it off the bike, nor open it up.

• HondaXR650R

Posted February 17, 2005 - 02:53 AM

...So let's hear it, which one?...

This is how my BRP and Edelbrock get along---> :)

• hurricane jonny

Posted February 17, 2005 - 03:47 PM

That's funny :) I guess Edelbrock wins hands down. Really can't wait till I get a 650R. Plan on running some desert races too. :)

• Misfit

Posted February 17, 2005 - 05:16 PM

I emailed edelbrock and it is a pumper carb they said they are gonna be filling all their back orders which include the 650L in the next two to three weeks. Im gonna get mine ordered soon I hope! :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.