Clarke 4.0 - XR650L

16 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted February 13, 2005 - 04:14 PM

Just added a Clarke 4.0 to m bike. The tank is not very stable though. Anyone find a good way to make this more stable side to side?

• mountainrider

Posted February 13, 2005 - 04:21 PM

There should have been some foam pipe insulation that cam ewith it.Put a piece of it on the frame amd tape it down.Also should have a metal rod that attaches to the front of the tank with two screws. :)

• dualsport newbie

Posted February 13, 2005 - 05:32 PM

There should have been some foam pipe insulation that cam ewith it.Put a piece of it on the frame amd tape it down.Also should have a metal rod that attaches to the front of the tank with two screws. :)

Yes, the foam is wrapped around the frame under the tank and the metal rod is installled. The one thing about the foam is that I put only one layer of the foam on the frame. Should I have put a double layer down?? The metal rod does not attach the frame, so it does not add to the stability of the tank with respect to the frame as far as I can tell. The thing is not going to move while riding, I'm just concerned for what is going to happen the first time I dump the bike with this tank????? At present it does not seem like it will take much force to knock this tank off. I can rotate the tank by hand about the axis of the frame an easy 2-3 degrees back and forth. Is that normal for this tank?

• mountainrider

Posted February 13, 2005 - 05:44 PM

I am not tring to be a smart a&& but did you put the bolt in it?Mine does not move much at all.One more thing you should do is put some heat tape under the tank.The heat from the head gets pretty hot.Try zip tying the rod to the frame.Mine lays on the brackett for the gas tank extensions.I hope this helps. :)

• dualsport newbie

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I am not tring to be a smart a&& but did you put the bolt in it?Mine does not move much at all.One more thing you should do is put some heat tape under the tank.The heat from the head gets pretty hot.Try zip tying the rod to the frame.Mine lays on the brackett for the gas tank extensions.I hope this helps. :)

I did put the bolt in it. the rod does lay pretty close to the frame/bracket from the stock tank/shroud. that's a good tip. i'll try that to see if i can get a little more stability. how many layers of the foam did you put down under the tank (1 or 2)? i just used the one layer, but i have a little left over. i could probably go back in with a 2nd layer.

if Clarke would just make one bracket that mounted where the rod mounts to the tank and then screwed into the bracket on the frame where the stocker shrouds/tank was mounted, this would be the ideal tank! may have to visit a local machine shop and make this happen just for peace of mind.

• capsilII

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I thought these Clarke tanks were a no-hassle retro fit. :)

• dualsport newbie

Posted February 13, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I thought these Clarke tanks were a no-hassle retro fit. :)

I don't mean to sound down on the fit. I am very happy with the finish and construction of the tank. I am just moderately happy with the stability. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking the tank off. When riding the tank does not move. It just has a little bit more play in it than the stocker does. I guess that should be expected to a certain degree, the tank being plastic. It just seems to me that Clarke could really take a good product and make it great by simply replacing the "rod" with a bracket that utilizes the existing bracket mounted to the frame (which their rod runs adjacent to). Just an engineering design recommendation.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 13, 2005 - 07:45 PM

I was also very disappointed of the lack of lateral stability of the Clarke 4.0. Save the hardware from all the things you remove from the bike. I have an assortment of bolts & washers that did the trick for me.

I used a u-clip with a hole through the tabs, about 3/8" square when folded in half. Now invert the u & it'll be an n. Put the clip over the metal brace from Clarke and use washers and double nuts to bolt down and pinch the clip down tight on the bar. :) I used the right air scoop brace on the down tube.

Works great and the tank stays in place. It's a low-tech fix but it works really well. :) I even did for my friend's bike who has the 4.0.

I also believe Clarke should've addressed this issue and provided a solution, but they didn't so you're on your own. :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dualsport newbie

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:32 PM

I was also very disappointed of the lack of lateral stability of the Clarke 4.0. Save the hardware from all the things you remove from the bike. I have an assortment of bolts & washers that did the trick for me.

I used a u-clip with a hole through the tabs, about 3/8" square when folded in half. Now invert the u & it'll be an n. Put the clip over the metal brace from Clarke and use washers and double nuts to bolt down and pinch the clip down tight on the bar. :) I used the right air scoop brace on the down tube.

Works great and the tank stays in place. It's a low-tech fix but it works really well. :p I even did for my friend's bike who has the 4.0.

I also believe Clarke should've addressed this issue and provided a solution, but they didn't so you're on your own. :)

Good work DD! Do you have a pic you can post of your configuration?

• mountainrider

Posted February 14, 2005 - 03:38 AM

I think they should also installed two petcocks.With my new flatside it would have been great and you would not have to worry about tilting the bike over when the fuel got low.

• Misfit

Posted February 14, 2005 - 06:59 AM

I think they should also installed two petcocks.With my new flatside it would have been great and you would not have to worry about tilting the bike over when the fuel got low.

Yea I think so too I have the 4.6 gal version and alot fuel sits on the other side where thers no petcock. :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:36 AM

Good work DD! Do you have a pic you can post of your configuration?

I have photos but they're not clear. I'll have to reshoot them with a different camera setting so they'll be worth looking at. Give me a few days. Pretty busy right now. So stand by for now...

• dualsport newbie

Posted February 14, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I have photos but they're not clear. I'll have to reshoot them with a different camera setting so they'll be worth looking at. Give me a few days. Pretty busy right now. So stand by for now...

Thanks DD. I look forward to getting a look at your engineering. It will help me out alot, and probably many other TTer's as Clarke seems to be the tank of choice for the XRLer's.

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 14, 2005 - 09:32 PM

Thanks DD. I look forward to getting a look at your engineering. It will help me out alot, and probably many other TTer's as Clarke seems to be the tank of choice for the XRLer's.

Well I checked my archive after coming home from the customary V-day dinner & I think this will get the point across. The clarity isn't that bad, but it's hard to see the thin metal "clip" that is over the bar and between the washers and nuts.

Posted Image

I'm sure there are many different ways to achieve the same results, but this set up is very stable and a pretty simple fix for someone who's not a welder.

Good luck with your install. :)

• dualsport newbie

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:57 PM

Well I checked my archive after coming home from the customary V-day dinner & I think this will get the point across. The clarity isn't that bad, but it's hard to see the thin metal "clip" that is over the bar and between the washers and nuts.

Posted Image

I'm sure there are many different ways to achieve the same results, but this set up is very stable and a pretty simple fix for someone who's not a welder.

Good luck with your install. :)

DD,

thanks for the pic. i am going to try a similar set up this weekend. nice work!

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 15, 2005 - 06:11 PM

DD,

thanks for the pic. i am going to try a similar set up this weekend. nice work!

No problem dual newb. I know how particular you are, just like I am. :)

The nuts, bolts, washers & spacer came from the tube guards I pitched when I installed the BD bash plate. The metal "clip" came from the old mounting hardware I saved from all the mud guards I've installed on our cars & trucks over the years. You just never know when that sh!t'll come in handy. :p

This works like a champ. Good luck & let us know how yours turns out! :)

• capsilII

Posted February 16, 2005 - 01:51 AM

Nice bit of work. Good to see the pic and great idea. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.