What the difference between the XR/XL

4 replies to this topic
  • BlkHawkDown

Posted February 13, 2005 - 04:13 PM

What is the difference between the XR / XL 600R? We just got 2 bikes from Sony on the series "C.H.I.P.S." if any of you know what the was. And we got the XL model and I don't know if they still sell stuff for that so thats what i wanna check out.

If I buy parts for the for the XR will it fit on the XL?

Thnx in advance

• jqueen

Posted February 13, 2005 - 07:06 PM

It depends on the year, but I know the 1985 models and a couple of years in that area share less than you think, but a lot of major components are interchangeable. The XL has different size front forks, but the wheels will swap, as well as the triple clamps if you wanted to upgrade your suspension, but the forks are longer, so they will ride high in the clamps. The rear suspension has a reservoir on the XR, not on the XL, but will probably swap if you can find a place to put the reservoir. The airbox/air filter is different, but I think you can swap airboxes if you needed a complete airbox. Some companies list the sprockets as the same part #'s, just different tooth sizes, some list them as different part #s. The brake lines are different, but you can use XR lines on an XL (not the other way around though). The fuel tanks will not swap, but you can get a plastic one from Clarke. Seats will not swap. Plastic might, I haven't seen XR plastic off the bike. Most of your engine parts will be interchangeable, but not identical (XL is different bore/stroke). Wiring harnesses are significantly different (more than just extra wires on the XL).

I don't know if that helps, but even if it didn't, it isn't that hard to find parts for XLs, as long as you don't need new in box (Ebay). BikeBandit.com also has some hard to find stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlkHawkDown

Posted February 14, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Thats cool. Does at least the exhuast fit from the XR on the XL?

• jqueen

Posted February 14, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, the exhaust should be fine. Certain years had the mounting brackets in different places, but it should be workable. They are all routed the same, etc. But if you use the XR exhaust, you may have to rejet.

• BlkHawkDown

Posted February 14, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Ok then, Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.