'04 WR450 Starter Problem

4 replies to this topic
  • SM-WR450F

Posted February 12, 2005 - 11:16 PM

I had to take the stator out of my practically brand new WR450 to send to Baja Designs. I was trying to reinstall everything today, and I can't get the torque limiter back in correctly. Has anybody else had trouble getting it to line back up? I can get the smaller gear (the one that connects to the idler gear) to hook up just fine, but the one that is driven by the starter shaft will not connect. A hit of the magic button just freewheels.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 13, 2005 - 04:40 AM

The side cover locates the torque limiter and starter motor so there is no way to screw it up? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:28 AM

When you said that the starter "just freewheels", is this with everything bolt snug and back in place??

The torque limiter gear (the first gear off the starter) will only go in one way. You might have to turn/wiggle it back and forth a little bit to get it to seat down all the way, but it should go in pretty easy. It won't seat all the way if the gears on your starter are misaligned with the gears on your idler gear.

• SM-WR450F

Posted February 13, 2005 - 12:25 PM

OK, I figured out what was wrong. The part of the left engine side cover that covers the end of the starter shaft must be seated first. It simply wasn't seated all the way. When I took it off and lined that part of the cover up first, it went on with no problem. The torque limiter gear was simply not seated all the way, and the starter output shaft wasn't connecting with it. It works fine, now. Thanks for the responses.

• ddialogue

Posted February 13, 2005 - 06:32 PM

OK, I figured out what was wrong. The part of the left engine side cover that covers the end of the starter shaft must be seated first. It simply wasn't seated all the way. When I took it off and lined that part of the cover up first, it went on with no problem. The torque limiter gear was simply not seated all the way, and the starter output shaft wasn't connecting with it. It works fine, now. Thanks for the responses.

Why did you have to send your stator out to Baja Designs? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.