Rear Taillight xr 650

8 replies to this topic
  • Edwatertoad

Posted February 12, 2005 - 10:45 PM

Has anyone figured out how to mount a two way bulb into a stock taillight lens? Does anyone make an aftermarket taillight that will accept a two way brake light on the stock fender?

• Miker

Posted February 12, 2005 - 10:56 PM

Both my XR600R and my XR650R have dual filament bulbs in the stock housing. In both cases I used the socket from the Baja Designs dual sport kit out of their tail light. Use you imagination and its not hard to do. My plate is bolted to the back fender. Neat and clean. Not for the weak of heart when a cop is behind you though. In 2 years I have not been pulled over in CA for it. I actually asked a CHP what he thought. He said he did not care as long as the registration and Ins. was correct but he said it was not legal.

• snaggletooth

Posted February 13, 2005 - 03:42 AM

Edwatertoad,

Easy and cheap MOD! I have done this a long time ago and it has stood up to everything but hard ridding at Glamis with a large paddle!

I Just went to pep-boys and bought a cheap 2-way bulb socket. I can't remember if I pushed it through an existing hole in the fender or if I had to drill one under the lens.

Anyway, it was easy and it fit just fine. It must be possitioned at a slight angle (if I remember correctly) to clear the lens. This was no problem. Spend the $4.00 and experiment a little. I used this to replace the stock baja design method. Works great, cost is minimal, so is repair/replacement if needed, and can be found in any auto parts store.

The bottom of the light socket sticks out a little under the fender but I have never hit it with large knobies on hard jumps. Hard jumping with a sand tire was another issue, killed it! No problen, cost me around $4.00 for a new unit and no wait for shipping! I'll pop it out before the next trip to glamis. It will stay on untill I mount a paddle again.

Another neat trick is to buy a small toggle switch so you can kill (black-out) your tail lights when you want. Just un-plug your running light (small bulb in head light lens) and your totally stealth at a flick of the switch. When I get to a roadway I flick the toggle mounted near my head light for the tail lights, turn on my low or high beam switch and I'm good to go.

If you need more details let me know.

• pearblossomal

Posted February 13, 2005 - 12:42 PM

http://www.fourstrok...ght44-0181.html

You can buy a bolt on from the link above for $25 or buy two for $19 each. Not as cheap as putting your own two filamint socket into the stocker but cheaper than UFO, etc. Looks like stock and stays out of the way like stock except it has a clear section for a wannabe license plate illuminator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • highmark1

Posted February 14, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Don't bother with four strokes only :) Ordered 2 and never received them. Called and asked them about it and reply was not enough people had ordered them yet for me to get them. Buy a 2 filament socket and a small globe (1157), and get extra bulbs. remove old harness and zip tie new socket. It won't float like the old on but thats what the extra bulbs are for. I bought a dozen and have only used 2 in a years time

• pearblossomal

Posted February 14, 2005 - 07:09 PM

"Don't bother with four strokes only Ordered 2 and never received them. Called and asked them about it and reply was not enough people had ordered them yet for me to get them. Buy a 2 filament socket and a small globe (1157), and get extra bulbs. remove old harness and zip tie new socket. It won't float like the old on but thats what the extra bulbs are for. I bought a dozen and have only used 2 in a years time"

Obviously you tried to order more than a year ago if your comment about bulb usage is accurate. Too bad for you, mine works great. Have a nice day.

• Troy_Bell

Posted February 15, 2005 - 12:18 PM

Both my XR600R and my XR650R have dual filament bulbs in the stock housing. In both cases I used the socket from the Baja Designs dual sport kit out of their tail light. Use you imagination and its not hard to do. My plate is bolted to the back fender. Neat and clean. Not for the weak of heart when a cop is behind you though. In 2 years I have not been pulled over in CA for it. I actually asked a CHP what he thought. He said he did not care as long as the registration and Ins. was correct but he said it was not legal.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only thing that would make this setup illegal is the lack of a license plate light. I was going to do this to my 650R, but didn't for that reason. Many moons ago, I had a baja bug and I didn't want to use the standard ugly license plate light. There was a company that made a license plate frame with a thin light filament in the top piece that you wired up to your 12V power. At first look, you could not tell the difference between it and any other plastic frame. At night, it was JUST bright enough to read the plate. If any company out there makes one for a motorcycle plate, I would be interested.

• bikemadtim

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:33 PM

What about a couple of white LED's ?

• highmark1

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:10 PM

tried to order them in march or april . So it was two bulbs in about 8 months time. First one quit after a week and the second one is stll in so it could have been a bad or weak filament to start with. I think if you are going to sell the product you ought to have it on hand rather than lead someone on. I've heard the "I should have it any day now" too many times. Never once did four strokes only ie Andy ever try to call and let me know that he had them and he did have my phone number

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.