Beware Of The IMS Tank For The '05 WR

40 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 16, 2005 - 04:34 PM

Yep, that's my friends 04, I gave him my IMS tank... I was jetting his bike and putting the tank on, I forgot to get the YZ shrouds on his bike. :)

• motodude42

Posted February 16, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Dang, I don't have one single friend that will give me bike parts and jet my bike. What a bud. :)

• TeXR

Posted March 12, 2005 - 09:46 PM

Are their issues with the shrouds fitting on the aftermarket tanks? Thanks!
nv 05WR450; Moose Dyna-jet Carb Kit; WB e-Series!!

• clark4131

Posted March 13, 2005 - 07:15 AM

I had no shroud issues with my Acerbis tank. The only problem I had was when I added the Unabiker radiator guards. I had to enlarge the mounting holes in the rear portion of the guards as the tank pushed them out of alignment and the bolts wouldn't thread...SC

• Seabass

Posted March 13, 2005 - 12:01 PM

Are their issues with the shrouds fitting on the aftermarket tanks? Thanks!
nv 05WR450; Moose Dyna-jet Carb Kit; WB e-Series!!

The '05 WR's and YZ's use the same shrouds so there shouldn't be an issue with aftermarket tanks and your shrouds. I've bolted up a Clarke tank and an IMS and both worked with the stock shrouds :)

• wantmorepower

Posted March 13, 2005 - 06:31 PM

I went with the IMS 3.4 gallon tank primarily because it has the largest capacity I could find of any of the aftermarket tanks and still be rider friendly. (Please don't reply ".....but Acerbis makes a 12 gallon tank that they made fer Dakar.") After installing it I was concerned how close the fuel transfer line ( The IMS tank comes with two 90 degree fittings that screw into the lowest part of the tank on each side. A fuel line is then connected between these two fittings so the fuel on the right side of the tank can move to left hand side where the petcock is.) was to the exhaust pipe. I ain't too book smart but I is smart enought to figger out that gas and hot exhaust pipes should be kept far apart. I e-mailed IMS questioning the supplied fuel lines and if they could withstand being so close to the exhaust pipe. They replied the fuel lines were high quality and not to worry. I gave it a test run around the neighborhood with a small amount of gas in the tank and to my surprise it worked. :)
I took my bike out today to do a race in the So Cal dez and wouldn't ya know it, after fifteen minutes of warming up/ puttin' around camp the fuel line above the exhaust pipe bursts and 3.4 gallons of high octane dump on my red hot exhaust pipe. :) I thought my bike was done for but thankfully it was pretty cool out and I had about a gallon of water on my bumper and dumped it out on the header pipe.
If anyone is planning on buying an IMS tank-please be careful and invest in an asbestos riding suit. Or better yet, go with the Clarke tank.

Why don't you go out and buy some high-temperature rated tube and replace it with the ones that came with your fuel tank. I've got some high-heat tubing and since you complained about your fuel lines melting, I went out in my garage and found some high-heat tubing and placed it on my header pipe for a while after a long ride and it was a little burnt; not too much. Try an auto parts store.

• Bluehorse

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have an 04 WR450 with the IMS and a Big Gun exhaust.
My left petcock is on the inside of the tank flap miles from the header pipe.

• Seabass

Posted March 15, 2005 - 07:22 PM

I have an 04 WR450 with the IMS and a Big Gun exhaust.
My left petcock is on the inside of the tank flap miles from the header pipe.

There is only one petcock on my IMS tank and it's on the opposite side of the header pipe, same as the stock tank. The right side of the tank uses a 90 degree fitting that dumps gas into the left hand side of the tank. Some people use a Zip-Ty petcock for the right side gas line and most everyone I've talked to in the desert is wrapping their fuel lines with automotive heat deflecting tape.

• TeXR

Posted March 15, 2005 - 11:01 PM

Does the Acerbis 03-04 tank fit the 05 model? Anyone know?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 16, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Yes a few members have the GYTR (Acerbis) tanks on their 05's. No fit issues! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 16, 2005 - 05:33 AM

Yes it fits, I have one....... :)

• Tomppa68

Posted March 18, 2005 - 11:04 PM

I have IMS tank and I haven't got any problems with exhaust, but my tank was partially melted by AIS pipe. I guess AIS removal kit will be a solution for that problem. If I could only get one :)

• clark4131

Posted March 19, 2005 - 06:20 AM

Yep, I've got one too. I use it with Unabiker rad guards. I had to flip the rubber grommet around on the mounting tabs to get it to clear the frame and guards and then enlarge the rear mounting holes on the guards...very minor issues. After that, it fit like a glove...SC

• sleighdriver

Posted March 19, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Sorry, this is a little off the subject, but I'm looking for a stock 05'wrf fuel tank. Anyone have one in good condition for sale?

• Tomppa68

Posted March 19, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I have brand new -05 original tank, never driver. I'm a little bit far away from your location, so delivery costs / time might be an issue :)

I'm sure there is someone closer to you :)

• MxnDoc

Posted March 19, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Why doesn't somebody try this tanks with a braided Stainless steel line and fittings?
Just my thoughts

• GasAHolic

Posted March 19, 2005 - 09:50 PM

I have a 3.1 IMS tank and I have no problems with the exhaust, the Devol rad guards nor the WR shrouds :) , but I had the shop do them as time is something I don't have a lot of..... I presume it's been installed correctly :)

• Runner

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I too purchased an IMS tank for my 450 and had the same thoughts about the fuel line when I installed it. I took the bike for a short ride around the block and the fuel line had a hole burned through it. Fortunately no major incident other than walking my bike back home. I've since done some research and plan to use a heavier fuel line from the right side to the left and will wrap it with cool-tape (by DEI) which claims to resist up to 1500 degrees F. heat sheaths that I've seen online are only rated to 500 degrees F. I will try to more carefully route the line as well. I also have read up on using exhaust wrap for the header. The jury is still out on that one. The interest is more about reducing the chances of things (or me) getting burned rather than the increased performance. Anyone care to comment on the steps you take to wrap the header?

• fish525

Posted September 05, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I used the heat shield that covered the tube on one of the AIs tubes so far 12 desert races and 6 long trail rides and no problems knock on wood :D

• minion

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:51 PM

Is anyone using an aftermarket tank and the Unibiker radiator guards for an 2005 Yamaha WR450? Just wondering if everything fits. =)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.