WR 450 3 days old...gray wire, jetting,ais removal??

12 replies to this topic
  • thumped_blue

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:31 PM

I just got my '05 wr 450 and I could not beleive how restricted it was. I have to say I was fairly disappointed on the first ride. I just sold my '01 xr650r (plated) that was all opened up. I immediatley came home and did a search online for wr450 mods. Thumpetalk came up and I've been glued ever since. I put in the short throttle screw, took out the air box snorkle, bought and put on white bros. e2 silencer. Now, what should I do next? I am thinking it will be running pretty lean now, so jetting would be my guess. I am not extremely familiar with rejetting, as I have never done it myself(although i've witnessed). I do think I could handle it though. I need suggestions on what jets to change, clip positions, etc..I was hoping not to buy a full jetting kit just yet. I live at 1200' elevation and ride between sealevel and 5000'. Weather is generally dry and warm (65-90 degrees). Any sugestions?

...also, yamaha salesman said '05 wr450 have 2 gray wires and was not convinced that disconecting them made any difference. (?) ...cut or don't cut? Has anyone done this mod on an '05 wr450?
...lastly, how do I get my hands on Lowedog's ais removal kit?
Thanx in advance for the help!

• motodude42

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:49 PM

Congrats on the new bike. :cry: I bought the JD jet kit and was very pleased with the results. It comes with suggestions on jetting for different altitudes and temps along with 2 needles and a few main jets. My jetting is now spot on. A lot of people have bought 04 WR needles due to the fact that the needles on the 05 are non-adjustable (1 clip position). You will also need to pluck out the fuel screw cap. Some drill it out, some pluck it out. I plucked with good results. I used a small alan wrench on mine. I also installed a ZipTy fuel screw for external access. Also visit and post on the jetting forum for JD advice. :cry:

• motodude42

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:50 PM

Oh yeah, and disconnect the grey wire. :cry:

• eightballeddy

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I have the JD kit with the blue needle in the 4th position and a 170 main jet and ride mostly at sea level. I'd change the jetting before your next ride because it will be running VERY lean with the bike opened up. If you're not going to get the JD kit you should atleast go up on your main. As far as i know there is only one gray wire and most people cut it. Just PM Lowedog for the ais removal kit.

Good luck :)

• etrudersheim

Posted May 03, 2005 - 11:48 AM

There is a GYT-R kit available through your Yamaha Dealer for $42.00 that gives you all the parts and instructions for making the bike run right. AIS removal instructions with plugs, pilot jet, needle, clip and throttle stop. It includes instruction on removal of the air box snorkle, the knockouts, and the "tamper-proof" plug over the fuel screw so you can turn it out to 2 turns from the stock 1.5. It even includes a littly zip tie to hold the plug on the AIS airbox inlet.

Works great!!!!

• rushfan

Posted May 03, 2005 - 12:35 PM

The 05 yzf450 needle has 6 clip positions and will work fine. $6.00 at the dealer. Also, I picked up all of the jets at the dealer and I am happy with the results.#168 & #170 main and a #48 pilot. All under $20. I was there, they had them, what the heck. And yes, the gray wire is the ticket to alot more power. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted May 03, 2005 - 12:37 PM

My bike is almost identical to your bike except mine has a JD kit in it. My bike is very fast.

I would also add a #40 leak jet and a #72 starter jet.

Any one who rides behind you is going to get roosted.

• tumbleweedsroll

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:30 AM

hey i am new to this site, and trying to find info on wheather my 07 wr450 has/needs the gray wire disconnected. throttle screw, baffle, ect are removed and the bike seems to run strong around 4,000ft. (idaho city). also, should i consider altering/kitting the AIS junk? local dealer mentioned GYTR kit is being recalled!? any help is appreciated, thanks!!

• PAUL K EDMUNDS

Posted June 06, 2007 - 07:51 AM

The first GYTR Kit was indeed recalled. The new kit is: GYT-5TJ93-69-01 However, you might find, other than removing the AIS System, you will be happier with the stock jetting. Putting in the jetting that comes with the GYTR Kit seems to make the bike run very rich.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:16 AM

I agree with Motodude42, except for the grey wire. I did all the free mods, AIS Removal kit, adjustable fuel screw, & JD Jetting. I did try riding the bike for a full weekend at Gorman with the grey wire UNPLUGGED (not cut!). My personal experience was with the grey wire unplugged, the bike seemed to rev higher at lower speeds, which made me feel like I didnt have the low-end torque, which I didnt like on the trails. BUT, when I had the wire unplugged and did some speed runs on a dry lake bed, her top end was faster with the wire unplugged. I actually plugged the wire back in and forgot about it. If you do a search, there are some guys on here who have installed a switch for the grey wire, they flip it on for the trails and off for wide open spaces, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Just my two cents......................................... bahhh:thumbsup:

• BikerDAD450F

Posted June 06, 2007 - 08:33 PM

I agree with Motodude42, except for the grey wire. I did all the free mods, AIS Removal kit, adjustable fuel screw, & JD Jetting. I did try riding the bike for a full weekend at Gorman with the grey wire UNPLUGGED (not cut!). My personal experience was with the grey wire unplugged, the bike seemed to rev higher at lower speeds, which made me feel like I didnt have the low-end torque, which I didnt like on the trails. BUT, when I had the wire unplugged and did some speed runs on a dry lake bed, her top end was faster with the wire unplugged. I actually plugged the wire back in and forgot about it. If you do a search, there are some guys on here who have installed a switch for the grey wire, they flip it on for the trails and off for wide open spaces, I think it's a pretty cool idea. Just my two cents......................................... bahhh:thumbsup:

My Canadian model WR450 doesn't have the Grey wire although it does have the "sky-blue" wire that some talk about?:thumbsup:

• Heat Pumper

Posted June 06, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Are you sure? My '06 has a gray wire

• TheBlackSheep

Posted June 06, 2007 - 09:08 PM

My Canadian model WR450 doesn't have the Grey wire although it does have the "sky-blue" wire that some talk about?:thumbsup:

I think I remember somebody posting something like that. Your gonna have to do a search, or read the threads that Clark4131 has put together. I am a newbie myself, so I'm learning with you....................................... bahhh:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.