Happy Camper

4 replies to this topic
  • sanpedro426

Posted February 11, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Well i went out to the garage and checked my valve clearance. Thaught it was going to be a pain in the A$$, BUT it wasnt. Before i started i was just woried that it was going to be out of specs, and ide have to do the drill of finding the right shims and all that. WELL it was right on the $. The minimum guage went in and the max didnt, same on ALL valves. :cry: :cry: . Now the reason i was woried wasnt because its not running well, because it is. I just dont know the complete history of this bike because i baught it used from a guy who picked it up at an auction because it was a repo. Its a 2002 and i got it thanksgiving 2003. It was in great shape very clean and i got it for $4000.00 not too bad eh. Any how i should tell everyone you DONT have to take the carb out to do this as the shop manual states. Oh i need to ask someone who knows, when i took the two plugs out of the side of the ignition cover,oil came out of the bottom one, and im not sure there is supposed to be oil in that area.If someone could let me know if i have a seal out , that would be great. :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:27 PM

The 02' is a good bike, have fun with it. The flywheel is in the crank case on these bikes (in with the oil). Also it's a dry sump motor. When it's running most of the oil is stored in the frame. When it sits for long time the oil will slowly drain back into the motor. So when you check the oil, let it idle for a minute or two first, then shut it off and check the oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sanpedro426

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Thanx man :cry: :cry: :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Well i went out to the garage and checked my valve clearance. Thaught it was going to be a pain in the A$$, BUT it wasnt. Before i started i was just woried that it was going to be out of specs, and ide have to do the drill of finding the right shims and all that. WELL it was right on the $.

Ain't it cool? :cry:

Any how i should tell everyone you DONT have to take the carb out to do this as the shop manual states.

No, you don't, do you?

Oh i need to ask someone who knows, when i took the two plugs out of the side of the ignition cover,oil came out of the bottom one, and im not sure there is supposed to be oil in that area.If someone could let me know if i have a seal out , that would be great. :cry:

You're OK. Your bike has a Dry Sump Oiling System. Most bikes built outside of England and the U.S. are wet sump, like a car engine. The oil goes in the engine, where the oil pump picks it up and sends it to all the important lube points. Then it drains back to the engine, to the sump, specifically, where it was, and starts all over.

Yours is more complicated than that, and more sophisticated IMO. Yours is a dry sump system, meaning that the oil supply is carried outside of the engine in a separate tank, in this case, the frame. From there one of two oil pumps in the engine draws it in through an external line and sends it to all the important lube points, just like in the wet sump. Then it drains back to the bottom of the engine, where instead of sitting there, it is picked up by a second, larger pump, and sent back to the tank. The second pump is larger sothat it will always be able to outrun the feed pump, and send all of the drained oil back as fast as possible, keeping the sump "dry".

It's a better system for a couple of good reasons, but one thing that can happen is just what you ran into. The oil runs down into the sump when you leave them idle for a long enough time. They have a check ball to prevent this, and it works well enough that if you rode your bike every other day or so, you would not see too much oil draining to the sump. But the ball is downstream from the oil pump, and the oil pump is not sealed. So it leaks past the pump slowly, and after a few days, most of it is in the bottom, as you found out. If you had more recently run the bike, no oil would come out of those plugs.

So, do two things. First, remember not to rev the crap out of your bike for at least the first 15 seconds when starting it after it's been sitting (which is never a good idea, anyway), and make a habit out of checking the oil when you're done riding. That way, you won't have to wonder whether there's any oil in it when you start it next time.
:cry:

• sanpedro426

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:47 PM

right on grey. I do enjoy your posts and espeicialy your inputs to questions. Thanx. :) :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.