Black fork gaurds

18 replies to this topic
  • saucebox

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Does anybody know where i can find either some black fork gaurds or else some black graphics? seems that all i can find are blue and white ones or black and blue. I would prefer all black and maybe white or yellow because i'm looking into putting the retro kit on my bike.

• FFRacing79

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:13 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...2600cfI-500.jpg

• saucebox

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:25 AM

:cry: heck ya thats what i'm talkin about :cry:

• Live2RideHonda

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:29 AM

Try the acerbis plastic kit, about 120 bucks for the complete bike. Or, you can just get the specific pieces of plastic much cheaper.

They've got Black, Silver, Blue, Red, Yellow, White, Green, and Orange I believe. Take your pick and I'm sure you'll be happy.

:cry:

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:32 AM

Acerbis has nice black plastic pieces for the YZF that are pretty inexpensive.

Posted Image

• sharpmarble

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I just ordered a set from the TT store......

• rakkno

Posted February 11, 2005 - 04:16 PM

You can use Rit dye purchased at a grocery store and dye them any color you want. It is very inexpensive(about 2 bucks) :)

• saucebox

Posted February 11, 2005 - 04:21 PM

what exactly is rit dye??? could i use it to dye my gas tank too???

• rakkno

Posted February 11, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Rit Dye is made for dying clothes but it works great on plastic. I started using it on my radio control cars when I was a kid. very easy to use. follow directions on the box like doing it for clothes but dip plastics instead. I always boiled water put it in a 5 gallon bucket and then added dye. Be careful it is a bit messy. Anything this stuff is spilled on may change color also. Make sure the plastic is clean. doesn't matter if the plastic is new or old. Have fun. Try something small first so you can get the idea. Fork protectors would be easy. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 97zjguy

Posted February 13, 2005 - 01:25 PM

be carefull, i have tried to dye white plastic with rit dye before, and ended up with purple. best of luck though.

• sjwr450

Posted February 13, 2005 - 08:00 PM

The Hurricane kit (if thats what you were thinking) originally came with Yellow Fork guards. I did not use mine. They look better black, but the carbon fiber takes a beating.
http://www.matrixweb.../bike/right.jpg
http://www.matrixweb...ike/newleft.jpg

• saucebox

Posted February 13, 2005 - 11:10 PM

that's the one alright. your bike is my motivation for all this money spending. that is the best looking bike on this site. :) i seen that and i was like omg i have to make my bike look like that.

• HS624KS

Posted February 15, 2005 - 07:41 PM

that's the one alright. your bike is my motivation for all this money spending. that is the best looking bike on this site. :) i seen that and i was like omg i have to make my bike look like that.

Ditto.
Just finished my own "retro racer".
First race (GNCC in Tx) this weekend and it held up well.
Cool. Mega Cool. :)

Check out my garage.

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 16, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Does anybody know where i can find either some black fork gaurds or else some black graphics? seems that all i can find are blue and white ones or black and blue. I would prefer all black and maybe white or yellow because i'm looking into putting the retro kit on my bike.

I would not encourage you to get carbon fiber lower fork guards, they tend to shatter and flake/chip when they have roost deflected off of them. It you get them it better be for a show bike or don't get passed or beat on the hole shot, but who gets a perfect start everytime, not even RC. Do you see any of the top pros use them, no.

• sjwr450

Posted February 16, 2005 - 10:38 AM

I would say they get marks, not shatter or anything else like that. The ones in the pictures are a year old. My 450 went to Baja with them for 700 miles. 650's everywhere in front of me.

I clean mine each time and rub them down with Silcoline.

• saucebox

Posted February 22, 2005 - 01:19 PM

well i'm trying the rit dye today.. its been in for about 10 minutes and dont really seem to be taking on a very dark black. looks more of a light purple. i guess i'll leave it in over night if thats what it takes to get it darker.

• rakkno

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Try Really Hot water(Boil)

• Motoman_AZ

Posted February 22, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Acerbis has nice black plastic pieces for the YZF that are pretty inexpensive.

Posted Image

What exactly are you building here???

• FFRacing79

Posted February 22, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I would not encourage you to get carbon fiber lower fork guards, they tend to shatter and flake/chip when they have roost deflected off of them. It you get them it better be for a show bike or don't get passed or beat on the hole shot, but who gets a perfect start everytime, not even RC. Do you see any of the top pros use them, no.

I have run the GYTR C/F fork guards on everything from pea gravel 1/2 miles and limestone miles...no problems. They will blemish just like the plastic guards, but haven't had any break or shatter. Tdub

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.