Groovy Clutch Housing

8 replies to this topic
  • johno74

Posted February 11, 2005 - 06:24 AM

Hi

Clutch stopped working, pushrod seems to be working but no clutch action, ie wont disengage so stays in gear...

Just taken the non working clutch apart on my '95 xr6 to find that the plates look newish and arent burnt but the housing is grooved where each of the tabs on the plates have been up against it. Each of the uprights in the outer housing have grooves on one side(corresponding to moving forwards).

Im wondering whether these grooves would be enough to jam the plates and stop them from moving correctly when the clutch lever is pulled in, stopping the clutch from functioning...

Any ideas?

Or are XR6s known for any other clutch weaknesses?

cheers

• TimBrp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 06:41 AM

I replied to this yesterday but it got lost. Basically take a file to the grooves and get them nice, flat and EVEN. Then put your plates back in. If the plates have 1mm of freeplay total between the two fingers of the basket than you're all set. If there is more play than that after filing I'd get a new basket. Same deal with my 650r. I'm replacing the basket so I don't run into issues on the trail. Better safe than sorry.

• johno74

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Was thinking the same but just spent all my money on a stator coil. I want to buy myself some time so hopefully filing the fingers will work for now!!

cheers

• Silver Surfer

Posted February 11, 2005 - 08:39 AM

hey johno...

i was wondering if you could tell me what year bike your riding, how many miles, what type of riding, and how much you weigh.

i have worn out the basket and hub on my YZ and have bought an XR400 and am concerned that my 270 lb weight on the trails would make these parts wear out on the XR.

thanks for the help :cry: sorry to hear about your mechanical problems. hinson should make a stronger than oem replacement basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johno74

Posted February 11, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Silver Surfer

'95 XR6

Mileage Unknown. 2 Previous owners- mostly road based. Hopefully no more than 15K, will have better idea when Ive seen the state of the internals

Conditions: Mud, Ponds, Hills, Tracks. Any other good stuff I can find...

First bike that Ive knacked the clutch without a single wheelie.

Surely I havent done this damage in one outing!?? If so the Honda Quality mark is not deserved...I could put it another way

I weigh 14st at the start of a meal.

Hope this helps

• Silver Surfer

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:15 AM

Silver Surfer

'95 XR6

Mileage Unknown. 2 Previous owners- mostly road based. Hopefully no more than 15K, will have better idea when Ive seen the state of the internals

Conditions: Mud, Ponds, Hills, Tracks. Any other good stuff I can find...

First bike that Ive knacked the clutch without a single wheelie.

Surely I havent done this damage in one outing!?? If so the Honda Quality mark is not deserved...I could put it another way

I weigh 14st at the start of a meal.

Hope this helps

yeah i'd say '95 clutch should outlast that...maybe it was abused by the previous owners.

thanks for the reply. let us know what happens when you open the internals

• johno74

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:23 AM

Took the clutch apart and cannot see any problems. The plates are good and well within wear limits and so are the springs.

IN NEUTRAL: The inner housing moves freely and the outer is engaged in the gears.

In the sketchy Haynes it says that the housing can seize on the shaft. Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid q but how do you tell?

cheers

• miguelitro

Posted February 11, 2005 - 11:40 AM

This is normal wear and tear. it happens on all motorcycles. you can ussually file it once befor the tolerance is too large, also by filing it it will wear again faster.

Make sure when you file it you get the angles correct or it will wear really fast.

Hinson makes the aftermarket set I've heard its worth it,.
later on
miguel

• TimBrp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Hinson makes the aftermarket set I've heard its worth it,.
later on
miguel

Just ordered one for my 650R. I hope that statement stands true.. :cry:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.