650r weight

4 replies to this topic
  • DGA

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:40 AM

Where does all the weight come from? I am contemplating an aluminum crf450 frame conversion on my 650. I didnt know how much weight that could shed. I know it will handle better.

• TimBrp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:44 AM

Is it worth the money? The 650r is an oinker. However, compare it to other bikes like a DRZ or KLX which are just as heavy. The XR is overbuilt, thus it is heavy. My buddy has a DRZ and it's heavy but way too fragile. He dropped it once and the shifter shot through the sidecase. The xr won't do that to you. My thoughts are that if you want a light bike go out and buy one. Sure that's a great project, but I'd be curious to see if the CRF frame could stand up to the torque and abuse the 650r unleashes on it's frame and it's counterpats... :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mikie1

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:43 AM

I have both a CRF450 and an XR650. I've given some thought to that same idea. But after looking closely at the two, I don't think it can be done without a WHOLE bunch of work, then the handling would be a total wildcard. I didn't measure this, but the XR650 motor looks to be about 6" longer front-to-rear than the 450. And from what I'm told the motor weighs at least 20 lbs more than the 450's. Even if you could make it work, you'd end up with a 265-lb bike. And hundreds of hours of very custom work. If you have access to a full machine shop and are a very talented fabricator/ welder, you might be able to make it work. But what's the point?

The 650 works perfect as is- for its intended use. It'll never be a motocrosser or a nimble woods machine. It still wouldn't be any good at either of those uses in a CRF chassis.

Just my $.02...

• frankstr

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:58 AM

I'd agree, Waaay too much work and what would the real outcome be ??
The BRP handles just fine ,Hides the weight great,20 to 40 pounds more then some other 4 strokes,Not that bad IMO :cry:

• qadsan

Posted February 11, 2005 - 09:06 AM

See this link for some interesting info.

http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-03.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.