Jetting Recommendations

3 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted February 09, 2005 - 12:27 AM

My '05 will be arriving in a couple of weeks along with my JD kit, however, I am a total carb novice. Fuel injection, no problem...Carburetor, fuhgeddaboudit! I've looked over the JD directions and they appear pretty easy to follow. However, I understand they don't cover a couple of other necessary carb issues, i.e. the leak jet, pilot jet, etc. Any advice as far as proper starting points for the various adjustments would be most appreciated. I live at approximately 4800' ASL and ride anywhere between 3500' to 6500'. Low temps in the upper 40's, highs in the upper 80's and EXTREMELY low humidity at all times. How should I set it up? Many thanks in advance...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2005 - 12:29 AM

Start with a 165 main, JD Blue #4, 48 pilot, 40 leak, 72 starter. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted February 11, 2005 - 12:12 PM

Clark, I ride in Fallon. Sometimes I'm at 7000ft. ASL, I've been using all of the stock fuel and air jets and needle on #4 clip in an 01 WR426 but changed to a 160 main. YZ pipe. Never have fouled a plug at that ASL. Bike runs strong all of the time. One kick starter.

• MathProf

Posted February 11, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I ride at 6000ft+ here in Colorado Springs. I also run a 160 main and it runs solid everywhere. I run a stock pipe basically unplugged with a modified end cap.

I also dropped the Pilot to a 40 and it starts good and pulls solid off the bottom.I have the JD kit and run the Red needle at JD's suggested clip.

Jetting is a personal thing and is less science and more like voodoo.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.