clouds of steam!

5 replies to this topic
  • purluvwr450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:46 PM

So me and a couple friends are taking troll trail down at Hollister, the one double diamond they have, and my friend behind me an the trail gets his foot stuck between the foot peg and a rock and hurts his foot bad. After my friend hurt his foot I let him ride my 05 since it has e start and he keeped falling and having a slow go of it due to his foot. As I'm following him down the trail at very slow speeds my bike the one he's now riding begind to bellow clouds of steam from somewhere around the engine area. We turned off the bikes and sat for about 15 20 minutes to cool down the bikes and everything seemed finr from there on. Has anyone else experienced this or might someone have an idea why my bike, an 05 Wr450F, blew clouds of steam but my two other friends one with a 426 abd another with a 300exc where fine in comparison???????????????????????? :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 06:58 PM

2005 stock jetting is extremely lean.(EPA, Eco Nazis, Kaliforniastan!) :cry: :cry: :cry:
2005 also got smaller radiators & AIS and voila you have a boil over!
Proper jetting will fix this. :cry:

• purluvwr450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 07:57 PM

I've done all mods and jetted to jd specs????????????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Proper jetting goes beyond the JD kit. :cry: Buy a 48 pilot! Put in a 40 leak jet! Buy a Zip Ty fuel screw! :cry:
Then if it happens again you know your buddy was peeing on your motor! :cry:

• minion

Posted February 08, 2005 - 10:00 PM

Proper jetting goes beyond the JD kit. :cry: Buy a 48 pilot! Put in a 40 leak jet! Buy a Zip Ty fuel screw! :cry:
Then if it happens again you know your buddy was peeing on your motor! :cry:

Indy,

Can you elaborate on the purpose of the leak jet? If that jet is incorrect (e.g., stock) could that be the cause of an occassional bog when the rpms are really low and the throttle is snapped? I've dohe the jd kit as well with a 170main & the zip ty fuel screw, and other than the occassional bog it runs a hell of a lot better than stock.

Thanks!
M.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2005 - 12:25 AM

Absolutely! The dreaded lean bog at low rpms is a direct result of to little fuel from the AC pump squirt and a low pilot. I run a zero leak jet during the winter ( I took the stocker and brazed it shut). I use the 40 during the summer. The stock 70 is just too lean. :cry: 50 pilot in winter, 48 pilot in summer and fall, 45 pilot in hot summers. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.