Lots of oil from breather

1 reply to this topic
  • G_moto

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I have a 2001 wr426. I have had my breather hose routed into my airbox for some time. After a days ride, I usually get about an ounce of oil collected in the airbox. I had just done an oil change the day before my last ride. When we were loading the bikes up, I noticed oil seaping from the airbox joints. I put a container under the box and pulled the plug off. 16 oz. of oil came out :cry: ! I always ride hard and keep the revs high, but have never seen this before. Has anyone had to add that much oil after just one 50 mile ride? I'm thinking of doing a compression test, but the bike ran great, with no loss of power. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted February 08, 2005 - 06:24 PM

What you described is usually a sign that the crankcase is getting pressurized and forcing oil out the breather hose. The most likely cause of this is worn piston rings and/or valve guides/seals. Start by doing a compression test, but a cylinder leakdown test will tell you more.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.