YZ 450 Manual Decompression Assy.

4 replies to this topic
  • eazrider

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:46 AM

Has anyone installed a manual decomp. assy. from a 426 on a YZ 450? The 450, under normal conditions can actually be started by hand (I've done it) but sometimes, after laying it down (upside down?) the motor loads up and requires kicking until one is red in the face to get going again. With a manual de-comp capability, it is a small task to pull the lever in, hold the throttle wide open, kick it over 5-6 times to clear the extra fuel out of the cyl, and then start normally. Any thoughts?

• Lackey-92

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:54 AM

You can do this. It will not hurt anything. The parts off the earlier models will fit. Use 2000 YZ426 parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmics19067

Posted February 08, 2005 - 06:31 AM

there is actually a kit sold by Yamaha, have your local yamaha parts man look up in the micro fische for your bike . It should be towards the top named something like alternate decompresion . extremely cheap compared to buying new pieces individualy. Or find someone who just put in an auto decomp. Hot cam in their older bike and get their old parts

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2005 - 10:54 AM

there is actually a kit sold by Yamaha, have your local yamaha parts man look up in the micro fische for your bike . It should be towards the top named something like alternate decompresion . extremely cheap compared to buying new pieces individualy. Or find someone who just put in an auto decomp. Hot cam in their older bike and get their old parts

The kit is PN 5TA-W1228-00-00

Simply opening the throttle wide open and kicking it will clear out a 450 with the decomp, too. It would be a little easier to kick over, but it works without the manual decomp nevertheless. Your thoughts were mine before I actually owned my 450 for a while, since I'm an old time thumper guy, and am familiar with pretty much every trick you can use a decomp lever for. Now, I really don't miss it.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 08, 2005 - 10:57 AM

Like greyracer said, just kick through it a 10-15 times then it should fire right up. I wouldn't bother with the manual decomp. I had serious doubts about removing my decomp lever when I 450 cammed my bike, but now I have no regrets.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.