Oil quantity

8 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted February 07, 2005 - 10:33 PM

Once again, thanks for hints on backfiring. bike running great
I just changed my oil after the ride and thought i'd check on here for further info and read that some owners are putting 1.7 l of oil in.
I have put just over 500ml,( roughly what came out less oil filter small spill) then followed directions of when to check oil( run for 10sec) and it reads up to 30mm over high level on the dipstick. it always reads high and i have preffered to have too much than not enough.
Have checked some more threads re quantity, then checked oil level again hot and cold and is still over dipstick high mark. any suggestions?
by the way wheres marcus gone? the responses used to be a real kak.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 04:24 AM

I dont know exactly why but it is not a good idea to run higher oil volumes than recommended by the manufacturer. :cry:
Marcus is still in the Insane Asylum and wont be out for another few months. :cry:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:30 AM

Once again, thanks for hints on backfiring. bike running great
I just changed my oil after the ride and thought i'd check on here for further info and read that some owners are putting 1.7 l of oil in. I have put just over 500ml,( roughly what came out less oil filter small spill) then followed directions of when to check oil( run for 10sec) and it reads up to 30mm over high level on the dipstick. it always reads high and i have preffered to have too much than not enough.
Have checked some more threads re quantity, then checked oil level again hot and cold and is still over dipstick high mark. any suggestions?
by the way wheres marcus gone? the responses used to be a real kak.

I've read your post, and if i've read it correctly, you only put 500ml of oil into your bike, to replace roughly 500ml that you drained out. If that is what you've done, and i'm assuming we're talking about a WR400/426/450 here, then you are not draining BOTH the engine sump plug, AND the drain plug in the frame. You must drain both engine and frame, remove filter etc, then refill to correct level. My 426 takes just over 1.4 litres each oil change, to have the level spot on. I have a 2 litre Coke bottle marked with 1 litre, 1.2 litre, and so on, that I use to make life easier when pouring into the filler hole. BTW, Marcus is most likely thinking up new questions to post, as we speak. :cry:

• 5valve

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:09 AM

first read chris about correct draining and than add up my info...99 WR really eats 1,7 l of oil, with oil filter cleanup
if too much oil, it should get spat out of breather hose

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted February 08, 2005 - 03:52 PM

As soon as i read your response chris I raced out to my shed and checked. how embarrassing. I have been religiously changing HALF ( not even) my oil.
5 oil changes in 2000km
duh Who needs Marcus?
Off to change the oil again.ALL of it, this time.
thanks

• ISBB

Posted February 08, 2005 - 04:30 PM

i felt like a moron... one day i called up a buddy of mine and said where did half my oil go i only drained bout 1/2 quart adn the thing says over full... &%$#@!... he goes did you check the frame... i was like DOH... forgot bout the frame... it happens...

• bluebike1999

Posted February 08, 2005 - 04:34 PM

just changed ALL oil and guess what? 1.7 l
am considering changing TT name and starting again.
want more of a laugh?. Having looked at the drain plug on the frame whilst cleaning, i had previously thought that it may have been to mount an aftermarket sump and frame guard!!!!.
It is these simple things that has really sent home the value of this forum.
just this week i could have spent several hundred dollars at a local bike mechanic if not for thumper talk.
Thank you again.

99WR400 Standard new spark plug and 1.7l new oil

• RADRick

Posted February 08, 2005 - 06:32 PM

just this week i could have spent several hundred dollars at a local bike mechanic if not for thumper talk.

Not to mention the laughs you would have provided them. :cry:

• bluebike1999

Posted February 08, 2005 - 07:49 PM

A guy I used to work with bought an old holden ute for work and odd jobs and got a flat tyre when out getting firewood. he rang his dad to find out where the spare was and his dad said "its under the tray at the back"
after his wife and him unloaded the wood at the side of the road and unscrewed the whole tray, they changed the tyre.
The following monday he told me it was a stupid idea putting the tyre under the tray as it was a real pain when you had a load on.
I asked "what about the little door above the towbar, doesn't it open?"he had the same look on his face as i did when i read Chris's reply.
You learn something new every day..............

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.