4 replies to this topic
  • johno74

Posted February 07, 2005 - 01:17 AM

What output in Vac would I expect from my '95 XR600 stator 'unloaded' if it was working correctly?

Mine gives out between 5 - 18 Vac depending how hard its kicked. It also gives the correct resistance ie between 50 - 200 ohms [83 ohms] (post 1991)
Does this sound enough?

It stopped suddenly (no spark) and took the clutch with it-cable ok and it presses the plates out but no clutch...

Does this sound like a dead stator?

• bootlegger2

Posted February 07, 2005 - 02:13 AM

i am having same problem but my clutch works ohms sound corect ac volts i am not sure about if it is ok 1 way ,ohms, i would think it is fine my ohms on mine were 78-79 when i put it on cause i had it rewound and checked it gona be looking in to the other parts coil,cdi ,regulator, if my stator checks the same i will know by tonight

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johno74

Posted February 07, 2005 - 02:59 AM

If you could let me know that would be great as ive checked everything by their resistances and nothing seems wrong..Ive changed plug and cap tho as matter of course.

• bootlegger2

Posted February 07, 2005 - 08:35 PM

well after going over the wiring and checking the stator resistance i come up with 76 ohms which is close enough to what i had when i put it together close counts in ohms i think
checked coil , ok cap,ok
went to carb also i had another 2 bikes to chose parts from if i found something unusual
again the carb removed it tore it apart again looking closely at the needle it was in the middle position mine is running now just getting to much gas but the spark was not very noticable really ,look close when i did start seeing it , it was kinda of a whiteish blue didnt hear any snap though when it fired put plug in and ran just was running really rich
back to the carb, the main jet needle i moved to the highest clip position so it would be farther down in there it improved but did not fix the problem with my mixture screw in all the way it still would sit there and idleand rev up just fine just huffed a little black smoke
i will be investigating it more tommorrow night spent nearly 3 hours there tonight checking and dinking around
let me know what you have found out also
:cry: :cry:

• johno74

Posted February 08, 2005 - 12:51 AM

Hi again bootlegger:
Ive checked the coil, the pulser coil and gap and the stator. All conform in terms of resistance. Ive also disconnected the kill switch and checked its feed wire for a short to earth.

Im confident that there isnt a spark as I tested it with a new plug and cap in near darkness...

This leaves the wiring, the cdi and poss the stator if it has a 'shorted turn'.
I dont have any spare parts to sub in so i was going to wind a test exciter coil on two of the spare pegs on the stator to rule that out.

As far as over fueling goes the original plug was a good brown colour, not black.

Keep me posted-cheers

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.