High Idle on downhill runs? how to correct?

5 replies to this topic
  • 01wr426

Posted February 06, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Yesterday I made my first trail run on my 01 wr426 since I purchased it.
I noticed that it would idle higher and higher on the downhill runs. I also noticed that it wanted to overheat, mostly due to slow speed I am sure.
I havent disconnected the grey wire yet so I am hoping that will help out. Anyone ever noticed the high idle before me? How can this be fixed?

I am very very pleased with the power of this machine. I cant wait to get back out there and ride it again.

Thanks for any help.
Eric

• 01wr426

Posted February 06, 2005 - 08:05 PM

ooopps, I was holding in the clutch. The hills were too steep to coast down in gear. My bike would just speed up if I tried them in gear.
My x-brother in law was on a yzf250. He was leading the trails Saturday and we were both on out first ride of the year and on out first ride of a new bike to boot.
I bet with a little more seat time all kinds of quirks will come into play.
I thought this might be a WR thing since his YZF didnt do it.

Thanks, Eric

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 06, 2005 - 08:21 PM

Yesterday I made my first trail run on my 01 wr426 since I purchased it. I noticed that it would idle higher and higher on the downhill runs. Anyone ever noticed the high idle before me? How can this be fixed?

I am very very pleased with the power of this machine. I cant wait to get back out there and ride it again.

Thanks for any help.
Eric

The 426 is an awesome bike, just as the 400's before it and the 450's after it. Just change the gearing a little bit and these bikes will pull tight technical trails or scream at WOT in the desert.

When rolling/coasting at speed with the clutch pulled in, these bikes tend to run at a higher rpm and not drop down to the lower standstill idle rpm. I had this issue as well. One way I corrected most of it was to drop the standing idle rpms as low as they'll go without stalling the motor. This helped my '02 get to a noticably lower rpm level when the coasting with the clutch in.

Give it a try. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted February 07, 2005 - 12:23 AM

I also had that problem...when pulled the carb down and through booklet checkup I noticed I was missing the spring, thats placed under imbus locknut above the needle, so it could jump up-down about 1-1,5 mm, probably? causing occasional high rpm

• 01wr426

Posted February 07, 2005 - 05:07 PM

Just as long as I havent gone crazy :cry: I thought this might be just a quirk that happens to some of them occasionally. Sounds like I might be in store for some carb tuning. I need to anyway I dont think anyone changed the tuning after the pipe was installed. I sure did fly through the fuel though, maybe they went too far with the jetting.
I did notice the pipe gets cherry red hot when first fired up, then cools down to normal when riding around. Is that normal to the 426?

Thanks for the idea about the spring missing I will have to look for that.

I am grateful for any & all info since I am a WR rookie.
Thanks again, Eric

• jbrooks26

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Your pipe will glow red hot if you let it idle for any amount of time at all. This is normal.

Josh

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.