650L oil temp?

6 replies to this topic
  • HondaXR650L

Posted February 06, 2005 - 04:44 PM

What is the normal opperating temp for a 650L? I checked the manual and did not come across the info there so, I have come here. I am buying a oil temp dipstick to see how hot it runs, but hot, is to hot? I may be taking the bike through the eastern Oregon desert in the summer and would like to know.

• cheff

Posted February 07, 2005 - 07:10 AM

The L will run between 225 and 300 depending on outside temp, oil quality, and work on the engine. Stock mine would get to 300 really fast, but after the re-jet, AMSOIL, and a new pipe, it barely ever gets to 275. That is only after following my daughter around Ocotillo for a couple of hours. Its runs at 230 most of the time.

• babbs

Posted February 07, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Even in hot Houston summer mine averages 225 and maxes out at about 260. I am not sure how accurate those dipsticks are though. But it will show trends and the consistency of the temps.

Babbs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlpskydive

Posted February 07, 2005 - 08:34 AM

Mine runs about 250 on an average day. When it's really hot 275 or so. Over 300 and you're about to have a problem.

• HondaXR650L

Posted February 07, 2005 - 11:49 AM

:cry: Thanks guys, I really appresate the responce. I asked a friend at work and got the "Your bikes air cooled, it will never over heat" responce. (Of course he goes through bikes quickly.) Yes, the carb is modified. Is there any truth to the rumor that someone makes black ceramic tape? The next question is does it really help? I heard that it's pretty spendy.

• jlpskydive

Posted February 07, 2005 - 01:05 PM

The ceramic tape is kind of a tan color. After you wrap the pipe you paint it whatever color you want. As far to its performance it did very little for the bike, but a TON for the rider. You don't have that little furnace right under your leg on hot summer days. :cry:

• michaeln

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have the Thermo-Tec black graphite tape on the WB header on my XR650L (just re-did it Sunday), and also gave it two coats of the black high heat coating from Thermo-Tec. I previously had the regular tan-colored stuff with the silver high heat coating. It lasted about a year and 15,000 miles before it was all tattered and nasty.

It does provide a slight HP gain (with jetting compensation), but the major advantage is that it protects your leg from the heat and also helps to keep the header heat from feeding back to the cylinder.

Good prices on the stuff (get the 1" x 50' roll) from Jegs

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.