Xtended Warranty - Worth the Investment

4 replies to this topic
  • Old Man Rider

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:13 PM

I have a 2005 WR450 which comes with a 90 day factory Warranty. The dealer is offering a Warranty program for an extra 42 months = $599, or an extra 30 months at $499. The Warranty company is XtremeGard. Any opinions? I am not overly mechanical. I am also not likely to spend the extra $ but am keeping it under consideration.

• Butta

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Before spending a dime on any warranty, you MUST read all the fine print and the requirements for keeping the warranty valid. And, I'm almost positive, if you race ANY race with it, the warranty will be void....but CHECK on it....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted February 05, 2005 - 08:51 PM

I have a 2005 WR450 which comes with a 90 day factory Warranty. The dealer is offering a Warranty program for an extra 42 months = $599, or an extra 30 months at $499. The Warranty company is XtremeGard. Any opinions? I am not overly mechanical. I am also not likely to spend the extra $ but am keeping it under consideration.

Forget it! All these brand "X" warranty companies will send out an adjuster to look at the bike/failed part. And what he is really looking for is a reason to deny the claim. Many items are not covered. And sometimes, items that are covered, wont cover anything that was damaged as a result of the original failed item. Lets say a seal leaks, engine losses all its oil, they will cover the seal. They can say things like "it was raced" if you have numers on it etc. If you MUST have an extended warranty, ONLY get one from the manufacturer of the bike you are buying. I deal with this on a daily basis. Factory warrantys are good, IMHO, still not worth it. You are better off saving the money in the bank, kinda like being self insured. If it was me, I'd say no! The financing dept makes mre money off these than they do selling the bikes. And if their lucky, the extended warranty company will be out of buisness or under a new name so no one will pay on your claim. :cry:

• CHRIS_SARICH

Posted February 06, 2005 - 02:58 AM

Hard decision.
If you get it and don't need it, or part failure isn't covered you'll will kick yourself up the arse.
If don't get it and have a major failure, which would've been covered you'll kick yourself up the arse.

All in all you're gunna have a sore arse

• ETP

Posted February 06, 2005 - 06:52 AM

This is my philosophy: I buy a dirt bike based on its reliability record to abuse it in remote areas. So an buying an extended warranty would be a waste of money if the bike has a good track record.
I think that the standard 30 day factory warranty is too short to cover any manufacturing defects though. The factory should cover craftsmanship for one year.
Another thought is that any extended warranty of any dirt bike could not have that broad of coverage. Check the fine print.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.