SRC d/s BRP brake light 'simulator'..

6 replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted February 05, 2005 - 04:37 PM

src brake light

I called it a simulator, becuase it turns your single filament O.E. running light into a brake light by running through a resistor until you step on the brake when it lets full current to the light. It uses one of those banjo bolt switches..

I bought one of these things and it installed in about 5 minutes and actually works pretty good. It takes longer to remove and replace the plastic and tail lens cover than installing the device. I tried both a 158 bulb (stock) and a 198, and IMO the 198 seems a little brighter.

It's still a wimpy amount of light, but it does work, is ridiculously easy to install, and only cost $38.. bringing me that much closer to an actual inspection sticker.. :cry:

• Winkel

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:12 PM

I did that on a Yamaha MX175 I had when I was sixteen. It actually worked to make that bike street legal. That was my first 'dualsport' bike twenty-four years ago.

• Winkel

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Also, for the cost of the banjo bolt switch ($16), and a small LED light from Autozone, you could just add an auxilliary brake light. That's what I did for my R to make it street legal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Also, for the cost of the banjo bolt switch ($16), and a small LED light from Autozone, you could just add an auxilliary brake light. That's what I did for my R to make it street legal.

Sure, I know there are other options, and probably better and brighter ones at that. The beauty of the SRC thing thing is simplicity. It comes in one little package, no wiring, no cutting, crimping, nothing but a 12mm socket to change the banjo, plug it in, a couple zip tie, a few minutes and your done. Rolling your own might save you $12 or so, assuming you already have crimpers, ends, wire, soldering iron, etc at your disposal. Still not accounting for your time.

RE: LED lighting, fill me in here I'm not an electronical guy. Does the brp have a rectifier? I thought not, that it had only a regulator and the lights ran off AC. Thinking that, I figured that an LED wouldn't work since it requires DC. Am I wrong about some/all of this, or did you add a rectifier.

• jws

Posted February 05, 2005 - 09:13 PM

src brake light

I called it a simulator, becuase it turns your single filament O.E. running light into a brake light by running through a resistor until you step on the brake when it lets full current to the light. It uses one of those banjo bolt switches..

I bought one of these things and it installed in about 5 minutes and actually works pretty good. It takes longer to remove and replace the plastic and tail lens cover than installing the device. I tried both a 158 bulb (stock) and a 198, and IMO the 198 seems a little brighter.

It's still a wimpy amount of light, but it does work, is ridiculously easy to install, and only cost $38.. bringing me that much closer to an actual inspection sticker.. :cry:

this is the same thing i use :cry: - sure you could make it cheaper but i perfer the plug and play way also :cry:

• Winkel

Posted February 05, 2005 - 09:44 PM

Thumpasaurus,

The LEDs run fine on our setup. I understand your appreciation for the plug and play, but in my opinion the LEDs are safer because they are pretty bright. I'm kind of concerned about some old lady plowing into my caboose at a stop sign because she doesn't see me. I made my own, and it is working well so far. I'll try and post a link. I think it's kind of trick, and I can remove the whole thing really easy. (for full off-road) Just my two cents.

http://img.photobuck...el/IMAG0098.jpg

Winkel

• thumpasaurus

Posted February 06, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Hey Winkel, very cool. :cry:

I might add an LED later too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.