1st Oil Change? How many miles?

7 replies to this topic
  • motodude42

Posted February 05, 2005 - 12:05 PM

I currently only have 12 miles on my 05 WR4540. How many miles do you guys ride before the first oil change? I have road just enough to know that
I am going to love this bike.

• jerryls

Posted February 05, 2005 - 04:18 PM

Did you already change the oil that came in the bike from the factory? If you didn't, I'd change it now.

For the initial break in, I'd ride it hard for a half hour and change the oil.

• motodude42

Posted February 05, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Should I go ahead and run synthetic or wait a few oil changes? :cry:

• xcracer123

Posted February 05, 2005 - 10:14 PM

After initial break in you can go ahead with synthetic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CHRIS_SARICH

Posted February 06, 2005 - 02:38 AM

[quote name='jerryls']Did you already change the oil that came in the bike from the factory? If you didn't, I'd change it now. QUOTE]

Dont dealers put oil in? :cry:

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 06, 2005 - 10:22 AM

I currently only have 12 miles on my 05 WR4540. How many miles do you guys ride before the first oil change? I have road just enough to know that
I am going to love this bike.

Congratulations on your new bike. I like the parts to wear in a bit before the first oil & filter change. I'd ride it for about 5-7 hours or so, avg (off-road) speed 20 mph, so that would be about 100-140 miles. Most bikes can go 600 miles before changing the oil and performing the crucial first service.

Following the manual is always your best choice, but changing it sooner won't hurt.

• jerryls

Posted February 06, 2005 - 02:16 PM

[quote name='CHRIS_SARICH'][quote name='jerryls']Did you already change the oil that came in the bike from the factory? If you didn't, I'd change it now. QUOTE]

Dont dealers put oil in? :cry:[/QUOTE]

The bike comes in a crate w/ oil in it. This oil is contaminated with all the metal particles that are inherent in a new engine. The question is: did the dealer change that oil, or save a couple bucks and give it to you without changing it?

• mousemeat

Posted February 07, 2005 - 06:17 AM

My bike came from motorcycle brokers in the crate.

I drained the oil and replaced with shell conventional motorcycle oil before i even fired it up.

I wouldn't lubricate a gate with the crap that came in the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.