Best aftermarket exhaust system for a1986 XL 600R Honda

16 replies to this topic
  • spocker

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I have a stock 1986 Honda XL 600R and i want a new exhaust system,front to back.What would you recommend?I'm looking for durablity,power and then price :cry:

• frankstr

Posted February 05, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I've always been happy with FMF products :cry: :cry:

• MindBlower

Posted February 05, 2005 - 11:53 PM

Before you get too involved you might want to do some searching. Might not be too tough a decision. (as in, not many choices for these old bikes) :cry:

• targetdrone

Posted February 07, 2005 - 10:14 PM

The only one I know of still available new is here: XR's Only
I found a Supertrapp on E-Bay for my XL600.

• CrackiN

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:18 AM

I pickup up an 1988 XR600R exhaust system off of ebay....It has stainless header pipes and a removable down spout tip....Sounds great and little or no restriction with the tip removed....Took a little tweaking to mount the muffler but nothing a sawzall and hammer couldn't take care of....

• Dual_Dog

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:11 AM

I have a stock 1986 Honda XL 600R and i want a new exhaust system,front to back.What would you recommend?I'm looking for durablity,power and then price :cry:

Supertrapp or White Bros. They've been making 'em for the XR's/XL's for years.

• miguelitro

Posted February 08, 2005 - 10:08 AM

I recomend a quiet exhaust such as super trap's EAR or FMF Q pipe :cry:
quiet bikes keep riding areas open
loud doesnt give ya much more power IMO
I even use a EAR on my race bike

• grreatdog

Posted February 08, 2005 - 12:57 PM

I haven't looked into all the FMF pipes available, but I know they make the Titanium4 for it. The AMA legal version is in the process of going on mine. The Supertrapp EAR sounded OK on my XT350 but it is way too loud on my '86 XL600R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted February 08, 2005 - 01:09 PM

I was really surprised to find my new Supertrapp IDS2 with the Quiet Core doesn't seem to be any louder than my stock baffled pipe ... maybe after awhile it will get a bit louder, I don't know ... it came with the Quiet core already in it, I guess you can get an optional Race Core, too, but I like the quieter pipes ... pretty good price on it at www.rockymountainatv.com

• ploizide

Posted February 28, 2005 - 05:47 PM

Hi there. My question goe to all who used aftermarket exhausts on their XL's Are those specifically made for the XL or do tyou just use the silencer an make your own bracket to fit on the bike. I am also trying to find an exhaust for my 85 XL600r but nobody seems to be making anything for this old lady.
Thanks.

• markotto

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:48 PM

I have a White Bros. Super Trapp for my 1991 XR600, but shelved it since the noise isn't necessary unless for competition. The same pipe will also fit my (87 XL600). The earlier XR's had a dual headpipe that stayed two into the muffler, the XL and XR I have has a dual headpipe that goes into one before the muffler starts- make sure of the model when buying one.

Also- the one problem I had- the Super Trapp has the removable disks and the aluminum end cap that is held in with stainless allen head srews. Once the pipe was used for awhile and I went to take it apart, one by one, 3 of the screws snapped off. From heat /cooling and carbon they become locked in and all the TLC I tried wouldn't unscrew them without snapping off. After the first one snapped, I tried lubing the threads when putting them back but the next time the same thing happened, and let me mention that there was not a case of over tightening- they were only snugged.

My 87 XL600 stock pipe is louder than the 91 XR600 pipe which has a big plenum silencer and an exhaust hole the size of my pinky!

• angiethedog

Posted March 02, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone know what slip-ons will mount on the stock head pipe?

• Timmerz

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:41 PM

Just as an FYI to anybody looking....I will be getting something like this one later on this year after I get used to my '83 XL600R being on the road and dirt...but for now, bon apetit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...086839883QQrdZ1

• creeky

Posted March 03, 2007 - 04:31 AM

I have been riding and tinkering with XRs for quite a while and I have found that unless you have done some engine mods such as a high performance cam etc., that it is hard to improve on the stock exhaust with the diffuser removed. A minimal weight loss can be realized, but that's about it.

• angiethedog

Posted March 03, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I have been riding and tinkering with XRs for quite a while and I have found that unless you have done some engine mods such as a high performance cam etc., that it is hard to improve on the stock exhaust with the diffuser removed. A minimal weight loss can be realized, but that's about it.

Thanks for your reply. I just bought my 86' XL600r and it presently has a Supertrapp that's a bit beat up. I'm not going for more power but a better look.

• Goshawk

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:33 PM

BUMP.

Does the SuperTrapp EAR still rate vs. the current lot? I have an old EAR whose aluminium body has gotten fuzzy over the years sitting in storage. I'm getting together parts to ressurect and improve my XL and wonder if it still can hang.

-P.

• martinfan30

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:59 AM

BUMP.

Does the SuperTrapp EAR still rate vs. the current lot? I have an old EAR whose aluminium body has gotten fuzzy over the years sitting in storage. I'm getting together parts to ressurect and improve my XL and wonder if it still can hang.

-P.

I like them. I don't see nothing wrong with running one. They have a unique sound as well.

They are also tuneable.:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.