WR won't run... No idea why

11 replies to this topic
  • BadlandZ

Posted February 04, 2005 - 10:45 PM

I seem to have a problem with my WR450F. It’s mostly stock, other than a Baja Designs kit.

It gets gas, the path for air seems good, and I suspect it’s an electrical problem. I replaced the regulator in the Baja Designs kit (because I had a spare), but that doesn’t seem to have solved it.

It will start, sometimes, after it has sat for a long time. But it will die instantly (with the ignition light flashing) as soon as it comes above an idle. Then, it may start one or two more times, if I’m lucky, but eventually won’t start at all.

I’ve disconnected the headlight, horn, electric start, anything I could, just to eliminate potential sources of the problem. But, nothing helps.

Any ideas?

• 450high

Posted February 05, 2005 - 02:14 AM

Check all the earth ( negative leads ).Also make sure the wires that go on the back of the ignition switch aren't broken and touching just enough to work then cut out.Mine had this problem and it would die when backing off the throttle.I thought it was fuel but eventually found the wires to the ignition brocken.
Dave

• firezwr426

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I have heared horror stories about the baja designs kit. it seem that they have no electrical experience. I can almost bet that it is your problem.

• timcook

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:21 AM

You mentioned the starter is disconnected. I assume you are kick starting the bike? It sounds like there is not the minimum voltage required to run the ignition. Has the stator been modified by BD and are you sure the battery is fully charged and in good shape. Did you re-install the factory regulator? I have been told by BD that without the mod to the stator the bike will run but the battery will eventually die. I think the flickering ignition light is telling you that the bike is not producing enough current or it is not making it past the battery.
Has anyone tried running a electric starting WR without the battery? I think it is like most dirt bikes with a battery and headlamp. They need the battery in working condition in order to run.

• Roosted

Posted February 07, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Thought I heard of another guy with the same problem. I think he had water down in where his spark plug goes. Make sure the drain hole is clear on the side of the cylinder, or remove the plug cap, blow it out, and replace the plug.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 08, 2005 - 04:29 AM

I thought you were going to return the Baja Designs Krap or sell it and get a Trick Dual Sport Kit that works? :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:20 AM

Never heard of this happening on a Yamaha, but sometimes on the Honda XR's the automatic decompressor malfunctions. It happened to me on my 600 and it had almost the same symtoms.

I also suspected the BD dual sport kit or some other ignition problem. So did the experienced mechanic who spent days troubleshooting.

He finally removed the automatic decompressor and as far as I know, the bikeis still running strong.

• BadlandZ

Posted February 08, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Never heard of this happening on a Yamaha, but sometimes on the Honda XR's the automatic decompressor malfunctions. It happened to me on my 600 and it had almost the same symtoms.

I also suspected the BD dual sport kit or some other ignition problem. So did the experienced mechanic who spent days troubleshooting.

He finally removed the automatic decompressor and as far as I know, the bike is still running strong.

Hmmm..... This problem did start when I was on the trail. And I had just laid the bike down on the left side about 4 miles before the problem started. I mean “laid down” really, it was a nice soft drop into soft sand. It didn’t even occur to me that there could have been any damage at all, the drop was so soft.

But, that little lever is perched up above stock position, because I had to modify a little stand under it to clear the Baja Designs light switch. And I didn’t check that lever at all.

And, unfortunately, I gave up and took the bike to the Yamaha dealership in town on Saturday, so I can’t even check it myself!

But, on the other hand, at the end it was behaving like the battery was dead also. I suppose since I hadn’t been able to get it above an idle, it’s possible that killed the battery (no red light on when I turned the ignition on). But I should have been able to kick it to life and get it to idle, if it was just a dead battery and the decompression lever stuck, right?

• DesertWR

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hmmm..... This problem did start when I was on the trail. And I had just laid the bike down on the left side about 4 miles before the problem started. I mean “laid down” really, it was a nice soft drop into soft sand. It didn’t even occur to me that there could have been any damage at all, the drop was so soft.

But, that little lever is perched up above stock position, because I had to modify a little stand under it to clear the Baja Designs light switch. And I didn’t check that lever at all.

And, unfortunately, I gave up and took the bike to the Yamaha dealership in town on Saturday, so I can’t even check it myself!

But, on the other hand, at the end it was behaving like the battery was dead also. I suppose since I hadn’t been able to get it above an idle, it’s possible that killed the battery (no red light on when I turned the ignition on). But I should have been able to kick it to life and get it to idle, if it was just a dead battery and the decompression lever stuck, right?

Did you check your fuse near the battery?

• BadlandZ

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:43 PM

Did you check your fuse near the battery?

I just got a call from the dealership. After not being able to ride for 2 weekends while it sat there, they said "It was a fuse, $31.68"

Is there only the 1 fuse? Does it go out often?

• DesertWR

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:51 PM

I just got a call from the dealership. After not being able to ride for 2 weekends while it sat there, they said "It was a fuse, $31.68"

Is there only the 1 fuse? Does it go out often?

There is only one fuse and a spare in the holder. I hope the $31.68 was for their diagnosis. The fuse is a 10 amp for about 10 cents. You probably shorted a wire to the frame while installing the Baja Kit. My buddy did it putting on rad guards. Glad its fixed for ya :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 15, 2005 - 01:54 PM

It may continue to go if you run the Baja Designs dual sport electrical system. :) I have never heard of the stock fuse going on a WR450! :) I would buy 50 spares if I were going out in the desert! :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.