what dose wr stand for

22 replies to this topic
  • dkwok

Posted February 05, 2005 - 09:50 AM

woods racer :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted February 05, 2005 - 01:03 PM

okay, let's see if i can keep from screwing this up, yamaha sold the MX models up to 1975. the '75's were white and had the mono shock system. the 400 had a small bit of yellow in the tank logo and the 250 had a bit of red. they were MXB's. in '76, i believe, they all became YZ's and were painted yellow like the euro OW's. they put air chambers on top of the forks that looked like a tach and speedo around that time. before '75 the MX's weren't much more than mx versions of the DT/AT/CT style enduroes. most had a silver/grey tank. there was a SC500 in there also. 1972? very fast and very hard to ride. the story was that the SC stood for "scrambles".

the '73/'74 YZ250 was a special model. it was a replica of what the jones family had developed. (i hope every yamaha fan knows who gary and dewayne jones are) it cost right at $2000.00. alot of money for a "jap bike" at that time. it was very light and very fast. it had an silver/grey aluminum tank held on with a nylon strap. the damn thing still used dual rear shocks for about three inches of travel. ouch! there was also a YZ360 at about the same time. there were very few of them and i was told they were almost impossible to ride.

i've rambled enough. this thread about what WR stood for sure went in a different direction and i didn't help. if someone can fill in my gaps, please do.

• Gadsen

Posted February 05, 2005 - 06:41 PM

My twin brother had a 1974 MX100, it had the yellow tank. And yes, in 75, the tank went white. It was a 2 springer! My twin also had the SC500 you speak of. It was a 1973, had the grey tank with the red stripe. It had the identical paint scheme as the MX's did in the early 70's. It was a 4 sp gear box and was an animal. Had a compression release that ran off the kickstarter. Would create a leak in the front of the head. I remember taking off in gravel in 3rd gear and did nothing but till soil for blocks. You could lug it down to almost a stall, then with any throttle, any gear, a roost of rocks as longs as a semi truck/trailer about 15 feet high. Not a bike you'd want to follow. He also had a 1981 IT 250, it was white. I belive this was the only year they were all white. I actually liked the white. Then they went back to the blue color. I like this old bike trivia/history. Brings back good memories.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.