03 electric start probs!

4 replies to this topic
  • deluxe450

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Just got a 03 wr450, after mods happy w/bike, except for electric start. I've ridden twice and the electric start works 50% @ best. Is this a starter prob.? Battery? Help.

• GasAHolic

Posted February 03, 2005 - 05:48 PM

I've got a new '05 and mine has quit w/ only 32 miles on it. Probably a loose wire... :cry: I'll have to check it out. Still under warrantee tho :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcracer123

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I have an 04 that came with a defective battery. If that seems to be the problem then just replace it. Could it be in the starter button on the handlebar? If the contact gets dirty or corroded it will not work consistently. I would get some dialectic grease and put it on all the electrical connections on the bike. I did this with mine when it was new. Hope this helps!

• ETP

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:13 PM

Welcome to TT. Check your battery first. The first year my 03 started just fine anywhere and everywhere, but now the battery needs to be charged if I let it sit around for a few weeks. There are some other starter issues for the 03's. Use the TT search engine. Wealth of knowledge here. :cry:

• Trauma

Posted August 19, 2006 - 01:01 AM

What is the best way to "work up" an electric start prob? Mine quit shortly after a crash that broke off the wire on right hand brake which goes to the tail light. I keep my bike on a battery tender and the bat is good, so I know that is not the issue. I am having to kick the thing every time. There is not even a noise with the button now.

Mine is '05

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.