WR Mods Write Up In Dirt Bike - Grey Wire

9 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted February 03, 2005 - 01:14 PM

Current issue of dirt bike has, the mods for our WR's that most all know to do.
Was interesting that the reason giving for clipping the Grey Wire is to change the ignition map at Constant Throttle openings. i.e. cruising at a constant speed as the Grey wire retards the ignition and causes the surging many have experienced including myself on both my 2000 and 2004.

Many have expressed the opinion that clipping the grey wire caused the bike to suddenly have huge power gains. There was no mention that is gives the bike a YZF ignition map. I think many have clipped the wire while, cutting the throttle stop and pulled baffle all at same time, and therefore experienced the WR as it should be and placed too much emphasis on the grey wire itself.

Hope this puts some perspective on this

• unkle_george

Posted February 03, 2005 - 01:57 PM

The question is: Are the part numbers on the YZ and WR CDI boxes the same?

It would seem simple for Yamaha to use the same box, with just a different input to tell what bike it's on. (Gray wire grounded or floating)

Has to be, or else why would they bother to provide it?

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

OK, I looked. They're not the same part.

03 WR 450 5TJ-85540-00-00
03 YZ 450 5TA-85540-00-00

OK, so who's put a YZ CDI box on their WR?

- Ryan

• Fryboy

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:07 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Looky who the cat drug in. What is up Team_Oatmeal_Pie !!!! Haven't seen or heard from you in over a year and a half. How the hell have you been? I see you have purchased another WR and moved to Arizona? Hope all is well.

WCTTR is in May. Think you can make it again this year?

Fryboy (Dave)

• John_Lorenz

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:07 PM

Hey Oatmeal How you doing?

Long time no hear, missed ya since WCTT1, Sure would be nice to see you at wctt4 May 27th - 30th same place :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Glad to see you back

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I have been lurking, seemed like in the early days we figuired out all there was to do to these bikes then, there was nothing else to do. Except ride of course.
May sounds good to me, riding up there was nuts, I dont even know if you could call that one trail single track, it was skinnier then that. Cliffs on both sides, and some old junkier bike down at the bottom.
You Norcal TT'ers hit Hangtown??????? I might be up for that too.
Keep me posted, is there a page with details out yet, for the WCTT Ride

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:42 PM

When I ride on the highway at speed/constant throttle opening, I often feel like a bug in the engine rev... like if something just hit the front wheel or like if the drive chain had skipped a tooth... Am I feeling the gray wire? :cry:

• Jackazz

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:57 PM

The question is: Are the part numbers on the YZ and WR CDI boxes the same?

It would seem simple for Yamaha to use the same box, with just a different input to tell what bike it's on. (Gray wire grounded or floating)

Has to be, or else why would they bother to provide it?

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

OK, I looked. They're not the same part.

03 WR 450 5TJ-85540-00-00
03 YZ 450 5TA-85540-00-00

OK, so who's put a YZ CDI box on their WR?

- Ryan

I can't be 100% sure on this as I've found no one who can confirm nor deny it, but I think that the difference in the part #'s is only in the section that denotes which model bike the part # is for, i.e. 5TJ = WR & 5TA = YZ. I believe that the two bikes share other identical parts with different part #'s, but don't have the patience to check it out now as I'm at home on a dial-up connection & the thought of wading through the YAMAHA online microfiche at 56K isn't appealing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the part # thing? I've asked on here before, but does anyone know how to "decode" yam part #'s? For example, (I doubt this is correct but it gets the point across)

5TJ-85540-00-00

5TJ = WR450,
85540 = CDI,
00 = no revisions (01, if one revision, etc.),
00 (second) maybe space for some other category.

anyone, anyone... Bueller, Bueller...

• John_Lorenz

Posted February 04, 2005 - 09:28 AM

I have been lurking, seemed like in the early days we figuired out all there was to do to these bikes then, there was nothing else to do. Except ride of course.
May sounds good to me, riding up there was nuts, I dont even know if you could call that one trail single track, it was skinnier then that. Cliffs on both sides, and some old junkier bike down at the bottom.
You Norcal TT'ers hit Hangtown??????? I might be up for that too.
Keep me posted, is there a page with details out yet, for the WCTT Ride

Oh ya posted today in the southwest Ride forum under wcttr 4 2005 ** Details Inside **

Here is a pic of the Furthest Traveld to WCTT1
Posted Image

hey Todd no need to worry about Bears they are still Hybernating in May :cry:

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted February 04, 2005 - 01:07 PM

I will be sure to throw some steaks around some one elses tent, then I might consider sleeping outside the vehicle......................

• simon@vic

Posted February 04, 2005 - 02:15 PM

I'm almost positive that its the same part. different part #. only difference is the US yz one has a plug over that hole or something like that and the US WR has a wire.

in non us markets like here, they are the same.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.