Chain Slack

17 replies to this topic
  • Lindsay90

Posted February 03, 2005 - 11:59 AM

The high dollar chain Yamaha used on my bike is stretching so I went to tighten it up but noticed the spacer marks to know your tire is straight is diffrent on the other side. Lets say one side says three marks and the other side will say five. I went to look at other yamahas at the dealer and also found some this way. Is this the way some are made :cry:

• tnl

Posted February 03, 2005 - 12:09 PM

I noticed the same thing with mine. First of all, the stock chain is cheap. Second of all, don't go by the notches on the swingarm, I use the side of the rim as a reference point and measure to the side of the swingarm and make it equal on both sides.

• COB92

Posted February 03, 2005 - 05:34 PM

You girls need to lay off the sauce. Buy after market blocks or go and perches a Honda. :cry: :cry: :cry:

• mmbasa

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:18 PM

The sprocket side shows two less than the brake side. So if it is 5 on the brake side it would be three on the sprocket side. Enough said.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Hold the edge of a yardstick flat on the side of the rear sprocket and line up the straight edge to your front sprocket.

Much more accurate than expensive axle blocks, arbitrary swingarm marks, or any other method I've devised.

Dirty

• crayztwentyseven

Posted February 03, 2005 - 09:42 PM

You girls need to lay off the sauce. Buy after market blocks or go and perches a Honda. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, well you should go back to elementary and learn how to spell!! Oh and if I want valve problems and breaking cylinder skirts I'll go buy a honda!

Posted February 03, 2005 - 09:49 PM

PLEASE! PLEASE!!! Don't mention the "V" word...that why I'm coming back to the Yama :cry: .

• crayztwentyseven

Posted February 03, 2005 - 09:52 PM

PLEASE! PLEASE!!! Don't mention the "V" word...that why I'm coming back to the Yama :cry: .

Ha, Ha, Ha you are so right! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• (742)

Posted February 04, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Just count the notches from the back instead of from the front and you will be fine. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted February 04, 2005 - 01:40 PM

While you're in the upgrade catalog for the 05 crf, don't forget to add stiffer springs in the front forks :cry:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 04, 2005 - 05:48 PM

go and perches a Honda.

wow. that proves how much of an un-educated redneck you have to be to PURCHASE a honda.

• DigilubeJay

Posted February 07, 2005 - 03:05 AM

Never use tick marks to align your sprockets. As Dirty Sanchez stated, always use a straight edge from sprocket to sprocket, if you want your alignment to be correct. This is on ANY bike or brand, bar none.

You can't trust the adjusting marks, nor can you trust measuring to the swingarm or any other stationary point. It just isn't precise enough.

• 3rdcoast

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:35 PM

I thought the same thing. but if you look at how the blocks are marked you will see that you are supposed to count from the back to front. That should just about line it up. You can do other things but this seems to work perfect. try that and it should line up. oops is what you say.

• tnl

Posted February 15, 2005 - 11:46 AM

Can someone please elaborate on how to do what Dirty Sanchez recommended?
Am I to assume that I am to use 2 measurements: One measurement from the front/leading edge of the rear sprocket to the swingarm center? And the second measurement from the trailing edge of the rear sprocket to the center of the swingarm? And how or where do I align up the front sprocket with these dimensions? Sorry for being :)

• DigilubeJay

Posted March 19, 2005 - 04:20 AM

tnl,
What you want is for the front and rear sprockets to be in the very same plane as one another. Using a straight edge, lay it accross the face of the rear sprocket. You should be able to extend the straight edge out until it is also at the face of the front sprocket. The two faces of the sprockets need to be exactly on that straight edge if the rear is aligned properly.
You could simply get behind the bike and "eyeball" down the rear sprocket aligning sight with the front, to see if they are aligned. Problem is that most folks can't eyeball close enough. Thats why we use a straight edge (a yardstick, a broom handle, or any ridgid piece of metal that is straight).

This link may be of some help:
http://www.best-moto...maintenance.htm

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 19, 2005 - 07:33 AM

The high dollar chain Yamaha used on my bike is stretching so I went to tighten it up but noticed the spacer marks to know your tire is straight is diffrent on the other side. Lets say one side says three marks and the other side will say five. I went to look at other yamahas at the dealer and also found some this way. Is this the way some are made :)

The best way to aligh your chain is by eye balling the Teeth to run directly up the middle of your chain.

Keep the Axle slightly snugg enough to hold all n place
By spinning the rear tire as you adjust the Chain you will notice the gap on each side of the teeth shrink or grow. The Objective is to get that gap even

• Dirtbikingpunk16

Posted March 19, 2005 - 08:16 AM

You girls need to lay off the sauce. Buy after market blocks or go and perches a Honda. :) :) :p

And this is coming from a person who pees in pools, and can't spell? I think I will stick with a Yamaha.

• tnl

Posted March 19, 2005 - 06:53 PM

DigilubeJay, thanks for the explanation!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.