Fork Fluids: Yamaha 01 Vs. Amsoil Shock Therapy

7 replies to this topic
  • SLO_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Has anyone compared Yamaha 01 (Pro Circuit 01, etc...), Amsoil Shock Therapy or even Mobil 1 ATF fork fluid? I'm looking make the initial stroke on my '05 Yz450 as plush as possible on motocross square edge acceleration and braking bumps, without compromising overall performance. Does Yamaha 01 or Amsoil Shock Therapy or even ATF have a "plusher" feel over the other? Any comments, tips or ideas greatly appreciated :cry: :cry: :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted February 03, 2005 - 10:34 AM

i was using straight mobil 1 atf and it did make the initial movement plusher,in fact the whole stroke was improved. i now run a mix of ohlins 5 wt and M1syn ATF,60/40. as i have stiffer valving now and wanted to reduce the viscocity a little. also i've come to learn there are a couple things lacking or added to the ATF that mixing balances out. :cry:

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2005 - 10:52 AM

The 05 YZ's have a completely different type of fork than older YZ's. The new forks are very complicated and require special tools.

When I changed my oil I was told by Factory Connection to use Honda Showa 5 weight oil.

The only reason I changed my oil was because I had to change springs. My forks are awesome but it took some clicker tuning. They are very sensitive, a few clicks can make a big difference.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 10:56 AM

I have ran both race techs synthetic 5w and amsoils 5w in our 04 250f's. The amsoil fluid seemed plusher to me for some reason. And considering it's $9/qt. vs. $25/qt that race tech is selling for, it's a bargain too. Amsoil also sells 10w, which allows you to blend the two to get any weight from 5w to 10w.

Since trying the amsoil about a year ago, I havent ran anything else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SLO_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 11:43 AM

The 05 YZ's have a completely different type of fork than older YZ's. The new forks are very complicated and require special tools.

When I changed my oil I was told by Factory Connection to use Honda Showa 5 weight oil.

The only reason I changed my oil was because I had to change springs. My forks are awesome but it took some clicker tuning. They are very sensitive, a few clicks can make a big difference.

Breezer: Looking at the manual it looks like you only need a 48mm wrench and the fork holding tool, are there other tools that are necessary?

• yzwiley

Posted February 03, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Ask these guys.

• beezer

Posted February 03, 2005 - 12:09 PM

Those are the 2 tools you need. I made mine on a milling machine instead of buying them.

I'm married and the shop is peaceful.

The fork cap wrench is a big bastard. It would be very easy to round off the cap with the wrong wrench.

Great forks though.

• SLO_Rider

Posted February 03, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Those are the 2 tools you need. I made mine on a milling machine instead of buying them.

I'm married and the shop is peaceful.

The fork cap wrench is a big bastard. It would be very easy to round off the cap with the wrong wrench.

Great forks though.

Are there any suggestions or tips you have for changing the fluid in the '05 forks? I've changed the fluid in my '02 many times, this will be the first on the '05..... from looking at the manual it looks quite a bit harder!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.