dual sport WR ?

18 replies to this topic
  • firezwr426

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:58 PM

OK guys I know someone here can help me.. I am in the process of dual sporting my wr, which by the way is very easy to do in Utah :cry: .. I am off to a pretty good start so far, which I had a feeling about when I first walked into the dmv and my waiting number was "426" :cry: ... all of the paper work is almost done, I have it insured and I even have a temporary permit good for 60 days..
OK for the questions.. I do not want to spend a grundle on a dual sport kit because all I need to be legall is a rearview horn and brakelight. does anyone know of any ways to add these things in a fairly easy and inexpensive way? from what I understand some of the non USA wr's come dual sported from the factory. could I just order these parts directly from yamaha, such as the switches for the brakelights and whatnot? will my stator be able to handle running my headlight taillight and brakelights and horn all at the same time? can I get away without using a battery?:cry:

thanks in advance for the advice..:cry:
this place is the best!:cry:

• bfly

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:18 PM

All you need to add is the brake light switch on the rear brake:

http://fourstrokeson...keSwitches.html

The bulb in the rear is already a dual filament and the wiring is under the seat.

As far as a mirror, the Acerbis mirror works fine (in as much as it makes things legal - worthless as a mirror). I just use a small bicycle bell as my horn.

If you lived somewhere more restrictive then you might need a dual sport kit. If you just want to be able to ride the bike to the trail head then don't waiste the money.

• GasAHolic

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:18 PM

Found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Not affiliated, nor have I bought one, but could be a good deal..... If you buy and use, let us know how it works out, OK. :cry:

• stonewall

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:15 PM

Found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Not affiliated, nor have I bought one, but could be a good deal..... If you buy and use, let us know how it works out, OK. :cry:

I bought one of these kits and if you don't need turn signals then it's a great package. It's all pre wired and uses snap connectors, the instructions are excellent, and you can install the whole thing in minutes. The plate bracket is strong and tucks in well. You really can't see it but here's a pic of my 05 with the kit installed.
Posted Image

• timcook

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:43 PM

If you are considering riding this bike anywhere near other vehicles on the pavement I would strongly suggest turn signals and a high/low beam headlamp. It would be a major understatement to say the road is full of idiots!Many here have read of my problems with the Baja Designs kit I installed on my 05WR450, but in the long run I now have a fully functional street bike when it comes to all the lights and horn. I say pay 300 to 500 and install a daul sport kit to increase your chances on the street!

• GasAHolic

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:11 PM

I just bought the plate holder from the guy (Roy) selling the ebay kit above. I also picked up a Trick DS kit from Dale (http://www.trickdual...tos_yamaha.html) and will be adding the rear turn signals to his kit. Also I'll need to add the mirrors and horn, which should be no biggie. I'm in no rush and will post pic links when it's done.

• stonewall

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:19 PM

It is fully functional with Hi/Lo headlight, brakelight, horn, and mirror. Turn signals aren't required here so I left them off. I agree the road is full of idiots and if I lived anywhere that had any amount of traffic I'd probably wire up some signals. I only have $80 in the whole thing and it's an extremely clean and simple setup. If I wanted to add signals I could easily do it and still come in way below $300-$500.

• minion

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:23 PM

If you are considering riding this bike anywhere near other vehicles on the pavement I would strongly suggest turn signals and a high/low beam headlamp. It would be a major understatement to say the road is full of idiots!Many here have read of my problems with the Baja Designs kit I installed on my 05WR450, but in the long run I now have a fully functional street bike when it comes to all the lights and horn. I say pay 300 to 500 and install a daul sport kit to increase your chances on the street!

The problem I have with that, is, if you're capable of perfoming half the mods your bike requires to get good power, then you're capable of adding simple electrical wiring to the bike to make it legal.

I put a parts list together at 4strokesonly.com, and the things necessary to get it street legal:

2 sets of turn signals
1 mirror with pearch
2 brake switches (front and rear)
license plate holder
Horn
Multiway switch (hi,lo,off, turn, kill, horn)

That all came to $205. Thats a bit short of what the kits are asking for. The only thing my parts list doesn't have is a turn relay, and wiring. I'm pretty sure I can get a turn relay for a car and make that work. That shouldn't be more than $10 from an auto parts store. Wiring is cheap. So are zip-ties.

What bothers me is that I cannot find anywhere what the wattage output of the stock 05 wr450 stator is. That is kind of important to know, if I want to run this equipment. =)

M.

• Vick115

Posted February 03, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Im not sure what the output of the stock stator is but From what I understand the output is split ac/dc. Half th output goes to run the headlight and tailight as AC and the other half is rectified into DC to charge the battery for the electric start.
I just sent in my stator to Baja Designs to have the two outputs soldered into one to be rectified to run everything off of DC. I want to say that the combined rectified output will be around 100 watts DC which is enough for all your dual-sport stuff.
I also have my '03 WR geared up and she is good for 105mph top end. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted February 04, 2005 - 06:01 PM

ok guys I bought the kit on ebay and it turns out that guy only lives about 10min away.. I picked it up last night and installed it. I have to say it is a very good kit. very clean and organized with good wire connectors and detailed instructions. easy to install.. :cry: I would definatley reccomend this kit although it is what it says "just barley" legall dual sport kit. probbalblly would not pass in a lot of states.. and the licence plate bracket kicks a$$ it is made out of rubber so when you loop it (like I allways do) you still have a plate..

• stonewall

Posted February 04, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Cool deal! :cry: It's a quality kit for the money. It gets the job done and is a much better deal than the $350+ alternatives out there. The plate bracket is a good design.

• new04450

Posted February 05, 2005 - 06:25 AM

I looked at that kit for my bike here in Texas- did it come with a High/Low switch and a brake switch? We do not need turnsiganls here- Like anyone uses them here anyway. I just want a kit that will allow me to explore some of these back roads, and ride to the trails. Most of my road time will be on my FJR

• firezwr426

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:04 AM

kit consists of the following:
one hydraulic switch for rear brake
one licence plate bracket
one folding rearview (tucks out of the way when not in use)
one horn and button
all of the wiring needed
a set of very deatailed fool proof instructions, and some awsome service :cry:

• stonewall

Posted February 05, 2005 - 07:39 AM

There is no Hi/Lo headlight switch with the kit but you can add this one for about $20. It's a simple install and works great.
Headlight Switch

• firezwr426

Posted February 06, 2005 - 08:22 AM

does anyone know if the stock wr headlight has a high and low beam? ('01) does it have a dual filliment bulb like the tail light and all you have to do is finish connecting the wiring?

• stonewall

Posted February 06, 2005 - 10:03 AM

The headlight has a dual filament bulb. The hi beam blade is empty and all you have to do is get a switch and wire it up. :cry:

• doctorchopper

Posted February 14, 2005 - 12:38 PM

What gearing are you running, i've got a 14 on the front and a 46 on the rear, seems a bit slow for the freeway, have to run at high revs to keep up at 70mph

• C.V. Rider

Posted February 15, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Doc Chopper,
I went to an AFAM 15T countersprocket, which gives me 70+ mph without spankin the motor. Been up to the high 80's according to the Endurance computer, no prob. I'm running Pirelli MT-21's for meats at 19psi. :) :)

• Dirtmizer

Posted February 15, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Baja Designs license plate holder and brake light pressure I purchased from my Yamaha dealer are the only mods I have for the street and both are excellent, although I am going to change the pressure switch to the front brake lever so I can keep the brake light lit or flash it at a stop light instead of having it go out when I put my feet down. I guess I don't have alot of street miles under my belt so I'm a little paranoid about cars coming up behind me when I am stopped. Good luck. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.