Hey wrenches!

9 replies to this topic
  • MichiganMXer

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Did you guys really go out and buy all the tools yamaha requires/requests to do a top end/vales?

Examples:

Valve spring compressor
Valve guide removers for intake and exhaust
Valve guide installer for intake and exhaust
Head warp guage...

Just a few.

I need to freshen my top end for the first time on my 01 yz.

What do you recommend I do.

Thanks for the response.

• Davidyz450

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:38 PM

Send it to a good machine shop that all ready has all these tools. Or buy the tools which would probably cost more than sending it out. :cry:

• MichiganMXer

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:59 PM

Dude thats what I'm thinkin. I'd like to do it myself but, i figure I can roll the bike in or walk the bike in holding a box full of parts..

I'll just fork over the cash.:cry:

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:26 PM

It's unlikely you'll EVER wear out a valve guide on the YZF so don't worry about those tools, all you need to check head warpage is a straightedge from Sears and a feeler guage. The spring compressor is worth the money and makes changing the valves springs a simple job. You don't have to buy the compressor from Yamaha though, there are plenty of aftermarket versions that are cheaper but the same basic design.

• FFRacing79

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I made up a spring compressor from a 13mm deepwell socket and mount it in the drill press. With a dial indicator you can even check for coil bind...total cost...$0(worn out socket).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_Rohrich

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:36 PM

I made up a spring compressor from a 13mm deepwell socket and mount it in the drill press. With a dial indicator you can even check for coil bind...total cost...$0(worn out socket).

Satisfaction of beating Yamaha out of the price of a compressor PRICELESS :cry:

• bushy

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:40 PM

I did that but it costs me 30 bucks with the addition of a craftsman valve spring compressor. :cry: yamaha tools.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2005 - 02:09 PM

I already had a compact valve spring compressor, but it wouldn't reach into the spring wells of the YZF head. So, I made two adapters, one for the intake and one for the exhaust, out of PVC pipe, turned them to fit into the tappet bores, and cut open one side for access to the keepers. Looks like (bad stuff), works good.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Did you guys really go out and buy all the tools yamaha requires/requests to do a top end/vales?

yes, just because i love yamaha to the core and act as their bitch. i do what they say, because they are gods.

• MichiganMXer

Posted February 03, 2005 - 07:02 AM

yes, just because i love yamaha to the core and act as their bitch. i do what they say, because they are gods.

*sigh Lovit when the kiddies put their worthless 2 cents in. :cry: :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.