reassembling rear wheel

11 replies to this topic
  • ddold

Posted February 01, 2005 - 09:41 PM

I took my rear wheel off for the first time since buying my 2000 WR a few months ago, and now that I'm reassembling the bike it seems like I've lost some pieces because it's very loose in the swingarm and when I try and tighten the axle nut to the torque specs, it really just seems to pinch the swingarm. I've got the two wheel collars (#19 on the parts fiche for the rear wheel) in place, the brake caliper bracket is in there, and I don't see any other spacers that I don't have. I feel like I'm going nuts. I've changed plenty of rear wheels in streetbikes ... is there just something different that I'm supposed to be doing for the dirtbike?

• WheelsUp

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:42 PM

Are you missing #2? There is a spacer that goes between the bearings. If you didn't pull the bearings, it should still be in there, but maybe double check.

• ddold

Posted February 01, 2005 - 11:41 PM

yeah, it's still there. I hadn't pulled the bearings, but I just yanked the wheel to double check anyway.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:22 AM

Have you got the washer beheind the nut ?

• ddold

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:32 AM

yep ... everything that's on the parts diagram appears to be there. Am I just wrong in assuming that there is a solid point that should be hit when tightening down the axle nut? It's embarassing, but I am almost at the point where I'm just going to drag it down to the local shop to have them put the rear wheel back on while I watch.

• WheelsUp

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:39 AM

As you torque it down, does the wheel still turn or does it begin to bind at some point?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddold

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:42 AM

It starts binding ... I never seem to reach the point where the nut actually begins to torque. Instead, it just keeps pulling the axle through until the wheel binds.

• Roosted

Posted February 02, 2005 - 03:40 PM

This may help. You'll need to enter steps 1-3 but this will give you a picture of how it should be assembled. Print a copy and take it to the garage with you. Good Luck.

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/

• Gadsen

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Iiis the calipper anchor in the groove? Caliper and pads on the rotor?

• jbrooks26

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:20 PM

May also help if you could post some pictures. One thing that comes to mind is the axle clocking. Make sure that the end opposite the nut is seated into the chain adjuster properly.

Josh

• ddold

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I feel even more embarassed now than if I had actually lost a spacer ... it wasn't something I lost, it was something I added. A sprocket, a bigger sprocket ... I took the entire thing apart and as I was putting it back together I finally realized that the sprocket was binding in the chain guard.

I need better lighting in my garage. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Still, it seems odd that the sprocket would actually bind up in that guard. Is that normal when you go to a larger sprocket?

• Bamster

Posted February 03, 2005 - 12:51 PM

How big of a sprocket did you go?
When adding a bigger sprocket it does pull the wheel farther foward as your chain is only so long. Never had that problem when going bigger. your chain must have less links than mine and your ajusters must be turned all the way out
or in (witch ever way you look at it) to put the wheel that far foward.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.