'05 low end 450 gearing ?

15 replies to this topic
  • GasAHolic

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Took my new bike to Johnson Valley last Sunday and had a blast riding with friends and family. The bike's got plenty of power to get me into whatever trouble is out there waiting for me (free mods all done). Anyway, the biggest frustration was the low end gear ratios seemed too high. Going through tight tech stuff was ackward as the bike did not handle slow stuff as well as open trails. Anyone else have the same thoughts, or make any gearing mods?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:18 AM

I found it to be the opposite. 1st gear crawling over rocks is actually very nice, it might require some clutch but for the most part it's one of the easiest bikes I've ridden in the tight stuff. You could always try a 52 rear sprocket to mellow it out even more. Have you thought about an autoclutch? You might like it. :cry:

• joshbeene

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:26 PM

I rode my 05 WR 450 out in the desert and loved the stock gearing, but when I go to clear creek or some other place with technical single track I put on a different front sprocket. I went down one tooth on the front sprocket and it makes a huge difference in the technical stuff. I chose the front sprocket cause it is cheaper and a lot easier to change, you don't even have to take to rear tire off. Just take off the axle nut and push the shaft in a inch or two so that you can slide the rear wheel forward. Then take off the front sprocket cover, (only two bolts), then fold back the lock washer and take off the sprocket nut. It is pretty easy, I switch it a lot and it can be done in less than 10 minutes.

Just remember - when putting the sprocket nut back on, you don't have to use a lot of torque cause the lock washer should hold it from backing out. you can also use thread lock.

• Yamadog 450

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:52 PM

I have a new (05) also and need a lower 1st, thanks for the reply about front sproket, probably better than an aftermaket rear one. I love suspension of this bike, a little soft on hard woopti's but, it is new(70 miles) and probably will settle and adjust. I still cannot believe they put that baffle in the end of the bike. Hey you guys with the free mods: Did you all re-jet?. I only did air-box and baffle, I think I am scared due to not being broke in. At what point do you get past the break in period and do all the updates? Or stock?

• GasAHolic

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:29 PM

I rode my 05 WR 450 out in the desert and loved the stock gearing, but when I go to clear creek or some other place with technical single track I put on a different front sprocket. I went down one tooth on the front sprocket and it makes a huge difference in the technical stuff.....

Josh, would you know the part number for that sprocket? :cry: Thanks.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:48 PM

13/50 is great for rock crawling! :cry:

• elton

Posted February 05, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I also felt that my 05_WR was geared to high on the low-end; I kept thinking I was in second when I was in first. However, I've rode it each possible weekend since I've owed it (6-weeks, 240 miles) and either the WR is getting better as it gets broke-in or I'm getting more accustom to the WR gearing -- now it seems perfect.

I'm amazed how well-rounded the bike is; learning more on each ride. Initially, it was all about tear-assing around -- for which it's excellent. However, recently I've tried more difficult slower trails and other variations in terrain and style; it's balance, gearing, stability, etc. are IMO excellent. It's so good that I've yet to dump the bike despite my "very long" layoff from dirt bikes and despite some hard non-prudent, riding -- and I credit the bike.

The high-end gearing is very wide. I still don't know if I'll use 5th much; reving out 4th is going very fast -- maybe that's for the desert :cry:

Dan/Indy; elaborate on what "rock crawling" is...

Elton

• timcook

Posted February 05, 2005 - 08:26 PM

I have a new (05) also and need a lower 1st, thanks for the reply about front sproket, probably better than an aftermaket rear one. I love suspension of this bike, a little soft on hard woopti's but, it is new(70 miles) and probably will settle and adjust. I still cannot believe they put that baffle in the end of the bike. Hey you guys with the free mods: Did you all re-jet?. I only did air-box and baffle, I think I am scared due to not being broke in. At what point do you get past the break in period and do all the updates? Or stock?

I seriously dought opening the air box did much without more fuel. In other words....a re-jet is in order. And yes, virtually everyone here(especially 05 owners) have re-jetting using JD jetting. These bikes are way tooooooo lean from the factory!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushman06

Posted February 05, 2005 - 11:24 PM

I have to say that i love the low end of this bike. Spent the day riding in the woods and with a bunch of mates and the WR took every hill and corner with no probs. In fact much to the envy of the rest of the group. The problem I have is the top end. On the straight aways I kept being blown away by an 05 RM450Z. The only mod he had on his bike was a Yoshimura TRC pipe and exhaust!

• elton

Posted February 06, 2005 - 10:41 AM

On the straight aways I kept being blown away by an 05 RM450Z. The only mod he had on his bike was a Yoshimura TRC pipe and exhaust!

Did you do the free mods on your WR?

Elton

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 06, 2005 - 10:57 AM

Do the YZ450 exhaust cam if you need to blow away a RMZ or CRF..These are MX bikes..not woods bikes.. :cry:

• bushman06

Posted February 07, 2005 - 08:06 AM

Yea, I have all the free mods done on my bike and have no grumbles. In fact It has way more power than I truly use. In the woods and trails I absolutely love this bike, plenty of power to draw from and not one issue on any hill climb that we decided to go up. In fact 2 other riders in our group were so impressed that they were going to look into buying one!

Being blown away was just disapointing as I am competitive and do not enjoy being passed ha ha!!

• elton

Posted February 07, 2005 - 03:30 PM

Yea, I have all the free mods done on my bike and have no grumbles. In fact It has way more power than I truly use. In the woods and trails I absolutely love this bike, plenty of power to draw from and not one issue on any hill climb that we decided to go up. In fact 2 other riders in our group were so impressed that they were going to look into buying one!

Being blown away was just disapointing as I am competitive and do not enjoy being passed ha ha!!

Wow; that RM450Z must be fast! My WR is "wicked fast"; scares the shi... out of me if I red-line all of the gears on semi-rough terrain. To get blown-away on the straits by a 4-speed yellow bike would be depressing :cry:

Elton

• bushman06

Posted February 07, 2005 - 05:29 PM

Wow; that RM450Z must be fast! My WR is "wicked fast"; scares the shi... out of me if I red-line all of the gears on semi-rough terrain. To get blown-away on the straits by a 4-speed yellow bike would be depressing :cry:

Elton

Hey Elton,

It was very depressing mate! :cry:

I have my first cross county race on Feb 20th and want to make sure I have a monster! (I will need all the help I can get, ha ha).

I received my lowedog kit today, so will put that on tomorrow. I am waiting on the dyno reports on the Yoshi TRC pipe to compare it against the FMF Q pipe. Apart from that, I think I am done.

• 04WR450F

Posted February 07, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Hey Elton,

Did you say something? Your avatar is...errr....distracting. :cry:

• elton

Posted February 08, 2005 - 05:22 AM

04WR450F,

Thanks; I have the same problem, thus I tried to "chill it out" -- as it only gets better :cry:

...but we digress; now back to WR gearing :cry:

Elton

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.