Cam Chain Tensioner Installation

4 replies to this topic
  • SLXL70

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:38 PM

After reading all the concern about the came chain Tensioner on my 2000 model, I? went ahead and ordered the updated automatic one from Suzuki. I want to install it myself. Are there any instructions printed? It looks pretty easy, but I want to read up on it first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fré

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:21 AM

Remove the old ACCT:
Loosen the big bolt (and the spring behind it) on the ACCT. Now loosen the 2 little bolts that hold the ACCT in the engine, pull it out. Be careful of the acct gasket, I tore mine up while doing this.
Now you can count the clicks left, just pull on the acct arm and count the remaining clicks. This should give you an idea of the condition of your chain.
EDIT: I just realized you said you had a '00 model ACCT, so the removal of it may be a little different.

Install the new ACCT:
Remove the big bolt, take out the spring, open the ratchet mechanism with your finger and push the arm in. You don't want to install the acct when it isn't fully retracted.
Then use the 2 little bolts to bolt it to your engine, together with the gasket.
Insert the spring, and push it in slowly, just to make sure evrything is normal, and put the big bolt back in. I would suggest you remove the cilinder head cover to double check evrything, just to be sure the chain isn't loose, or the timing has changed (I highly doubt that).

• rookie517

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:32 AM

ya should get the manual cam chain tensioner from machinist, one of our TTer here.

:cry:

• malachi

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

I agree with the MCCT.... no more worries....and it looks sweet :cry:

• slide

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:33 PM

The instructions from Machinest are very clear. I did the long install which calls for removal of the valve cover, but there is a shorter way. I removed my oil tank, but others seem able to do the op w/o pulling it. No biggie if you have to.

I checked my valves while I was in there. Unless you've done this, you may as well also. It only adds a few seconds and even if you are in spec, it'll give you a datum to know when things are begining to move.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2007 dr-z400 fair price? by emporerofathens

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 19 replies
Forums
Photo

Modded DRZ400 vs Modded WR250 by WVRidin

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • 1 review
  • Last review by hondajon80
  • On 15 April 2014
Forums
Photo

New Avon Distanzias on 2013 SM by SKULLYARD

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Drz 400 SM tires by Danny V.

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  53 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.