My first long ride with my 05 , Pics....

33 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 01, 2005 - 12:58 PM

On Saturday my friend Derrik and I headed out on a ride from the Barstow (CA) area to Laughlin NV to prerun my bachelor party ride, mark some waypoints and to do a little gambling. This would be my first real ride on my new bike and I knew I would have a better feeling for the bike after the ride. I've done all the free mods to the bike and I have it running real nice.

This is where we had breakfast in the morning, the weather was cold and rainy:

http://img.photobuck...ySprings005.jpg

Traction was absolutly sick! I could see every spec of dirt coming out of Derriks rear tire, no dust at all:

http://img.photobuck...ySprings017.jpg

Eventually we hooked up to the Mojave trail and signed the book. It was getting cold and started to rain:

http://img.photobuck...ySprings023.jpg

On the way to Laughlin we burned a lot of gas looking for new trails and the mud didn't help either. We stumbled across some buggy people on a bluff, we asked them for some gas, we both took a gallon.. Here's a pic of me after gassing (I always forget to screw the gas cap on after I gas. Offroad people are great!! These guys were having the time of their lives... Good for them..

http://img.photobuck...endswithgas.jpg

Man, the desert's a beautiful place to ride. Unforgiving terrain, but beautiful..

http://img.photobuck...ySprings027.jpg

Finally made it after being on reserve for a while and giving Derrik some gas:

http://img.photobuck...ySprings030.jpg

I spent some time riding Derriks 525EXC on this trip, it's got a little bit more on the bottom, it got a little better MPG and it's about 2 MPH faster on top. When he gave my bike back to me he said "man, this thing turns"

http://img.photobuck...ySprings040.jpg

The dunes were fun...

http://img.photobuck...ySprings041.jpg

This is where the ride took a turn for the worse :cry: .. We were trying to find a shortcut home, we were using the GPS to get back to the truck, we were low on gas and couldn't get around a mountain range, we rode off road for miles, it took hours and we kept getting ourselves trapped my cliffs on both sides, no trail or roads for miles. He ran out of gas then I ran out of gas, running of fumes we decided to head for the nearest highway, which was the 40... We barely made it to the highway but ran out of gas... We were stranded.. I was hitch hiking and finally a trucker in his semi pulled over and gave Derrik a ride to the nearest town.. I just sat there on the side of the highway like a dumbass :cry:
He made it back to me and gave me gas:

http://img.photobuck...ySprings048.jpg

We were a mile from the truck and he ended up running out again so I pushed his and his bike with my foot and made it back. I was late for dinner with my future inlaws and in the doghouse with my old lady.. :cry: <this is what I got when I made it home.... :cry:

We put on 327 miles over the two days. The trip was epic!!! Had a Cigar and maybe a hundred beers in Laughlin and only lost about 20 bucks at the Roulette table..

The bike: I got between 35 and 45 miles per gallon, we wheelied as much as possible, just screwing around.. We did some nice long ones, nothing but unadulturated (s?) fun. I thought my jetting was perfect but it wasn't, I think I'm gonna try a different pilot jet to cure a new, slight backfire. When were were lost the terrain was horrible, football size rocks everywhere in a rock field and all I could think about is how nice it is to have a power delivery so smooth as my bike has.. I think by putting a YZ cam in the bike and tampering with the smooth power would ruin the bike. For technical riding the stock WR cam is best!! You lose nothing. Crawling over rocks in 1st gear is a bigger challenge with the YZ cam. The stock bars on the 05s are nice for sitting but they've got to go. The pipe, I'm not impressed at all... I want to do the right thing and keep my bike to an acceptable level but I can tell the pipe is holding the bike back. I'm now looking at the Pro-Circuit 496 or the Yoshi.. The Acerbis tank was nice but not big enough for me, as it is I carry a half a gallon of gas in my backpack and I still ran out. The back brake seems touchy to me, I stalled it a few times in some corners. The suspension is unbelievable, and I've yet to set the sag.. I'm a happy camper with my new bike... :cry:

• Texas4play

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Dan,

Great write up!! I can see now why you wanted a 4 gallon tank!! I've GOT to get out west!! :cry:

• jwriott

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Sweet write up. Looks like a blast to ride those areas.

• GixxerBitch

Posted February 01, 2005 - 03:07 PM

Great photos, amazing landscape. Looks like you had a great day.........I'm jealous. Must go back out to Cali soon!

• wantmorepower

Posted February 01, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Nice ride! :cry::thumbsup:Dan, how did you manage to get your WR road plated? I've checked the laws, and it said that it prohibited it.

• DesertWR

Posted February 01, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Dan,

Looks like an awsome ride (with enough gas of course:p ) We are heading to Cal City Thursday camping at Dove Springs. I need to check out all my recent mods:applause: Racetech Fork Valves-Man What a DIFFERENCE in rebound!!!!!!
5.6 rear spring, JD Jetting Kit, Blocked off AIS. This should be it for the mods and I hope she reacts!!
Take a look at the White Bros E2 pipe-I really like mine.

I'll snap some photos this time out-Especially when we take our night ride into Randsburg and Johannesburg to see Miss Kitty at the Silver Dollar:goofy: :cry: :cry: :cry:

P.S. You got your bike dirty:banana: :cry: :cry:

:devil: :devil: :D :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 01, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the cool replies.... :cry: WMP, It's not plated.. :cry: You're correct. Vmax, you need to come out and have some black and tans and do some ridin... Des, I'm curious how much better the E2 is compared to the stock muffler, did you spend any time on the bike with the stock pipe? Night time to Randsburg? Very cool... That sounds like my kind of ride.. Gixxer and Tex, come out and ride..

Dan

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Great ride report and pics Dan! :cry: Just curious how lean is your jetting to get that great mileage and are you running high tire pressures?:cry: I have trouble getting over 100 miles on 3 gallons.:cry:

• endurodog

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Dan how much of an improvement is the 05 over the 03?

I picked up on something in your post that I guess I missed before. Tying the knot huh, congrats!!!!!:cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:38 PM

Indy, my 03 got 52 miles per gallon. I was actually unimpressed with my mileage, although were were not conserving at all. I'm have a 170 main in and a 48 pilot. I have the 04 needle on order at the dealer but the stock needle is in there. I have a (very) slight backfire now when I'm riding down big hills, what do you think? Also, my starter jet is off, it wants throttle all the time when starting. What size would you recommend?

Edog, If I were to pick the biggest differences between my 03 and the 05, the top heavy feeling is gone, completely. The bike feels manageable to me, I'm a smaller sized guy and I love the fact that I can man handle the 05, it just doesn't fall in turns like my 03 did. Motor wise, I think I remember my 03 having more bottom end but the 05 has a bigger middle. It's true when guys are posting that the 05's are mellow, it seems like Honda and Yamaha are just producing bikes that have a more controlled power delivery. My 01 YZ timed WR had a great hit and felt like a faster bike, it some cases it was but it was harder to go faster on when the trail got tight.. If you're a tall guy that rides a lot of desert the 03's and 04's are probably better bikes because they feel so much bigger. Hope this helps.... :cry:

Ps, Yep, I'm getting married, I'm 38 so what the heck.. I'm a lucky guy!! She could do way better than me.. :cry:

Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Very cool story Dan. Liked it. We often get scared about running out of gaz here too. The problem we have is that our trails are in the back country where all you can find except trees are bears and deers... they don't carry much gaz with em...:cry:

Happy to see you found a way back home to report:D

I don't know if I'm the only one interested but can you please tell us a little bit more about the 450 vs 525 comparison?

Take care dude.

Later,

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 01, 2005 - 09:35 PM

Hey Dan, Your jetting sounds great . You just seem to get better mileage out of you bikes then I do. I average 25 mpg riding in tough conditions and 35 mpg cruising fire roads. So my 3.3 gallon tank ends up taking me about 90 - 100 miles on most rides. I would love a 4 gallon tank if they made it. I dont understand how they make a 4 gallon tank for the little CRF250X which is more fuel efficient and we can 3 choices on 3.3 gallon tank manufacturer's.:cry: You think one of them would have been smart enough to separate themselves from the competition by making a 3.6 or 3.8 model.:cry:

• elton

Posted February 02, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Dan,

Excellent write-up; very nice photos -- would love to ride my WR in the desert! Looking forward to your next long-ride post; but being a newlywed, it may be a while :cry:

I would also like to hear you elaborate on the WR450 vs. the KTM525. Also if you change the stock pipe; I've pondered this but can't decide on the best option vs. sticking with the stock sans the (black) silencer insert.

Take care,

Elton

P.S. - You mentioned knocking back some black and tans; IMO, you should not ruin a Guinness Extra Stout by thinning it at all :cry:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 02, 2005 - 05:20 AM

I'm with ya Indy :cry:

Elton and Math, The 525 is one sweet ride.. It's lighter,slimmer, a little quicker and comes with a lot of goodies on the bike. I feel that the WR is more stable for open riding and I prefer the Yamaha suspension over the KTMs. It's hard to say anything bad about KTMs because they're so good. The 450exc is the king of the fourstroke enduro class, I think the WR does well against it but it takes us a little longer to set up our Yamahas and it seems like (for the most part) KTMs are ready to ride and race. Seriously, pick a color... :cry: They're both great bikes...

• thumper_dad

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:39 AM

Dan !! after seeing those pics I started planning my ride to Barstow!, I have been there once before passing through on my Harley going to Sturgis, I would not reccommend going to Barstow in the summer months are even close to the summer months because I passed through the Mojave desert when it was like 115 in the month of August and I almost died.

Would it be possible for you to tell me which road you took to get to where you parked the truck?

Rich.

• Math

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Thanks again Dan:thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:46 AM

I would not reccommend going to Barstow in the summer months are even close to the summer months because I passed through the Mojave desert when it was like 115 in the month of August and I almost died.

Would it be possible for you to tell me which road you took to get to where you parked the truck?

Rich.

Rich, I'm well aware of the heat factor, I've been doing these rides for years.. :cry: Yes, it gets really hot over the summer. I'll put the bike away for a couple of months and break out the boat when it gets too hot outside..

You asked how to get to where I parked my truck. It's off the 15, you can park wherever you want. We just pick an offramp that looks safe.

Dan

• DesertWR

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:28 AM

Dan,

Congrats on tieing the knot:cry: -I couldn't wait till the desert so I took my bike out on the street last night!!:cry: The difference in throttle repsonse is awesome with the JD Jetting kit. I had the shop put it in and I gave them the 170 main. I found out later that they put in a 175?? and the zip-ty is 1 1/2 turns out. I am impressed like never before with the response- Great Mod!!!!! I'll try the 175 before changing it. She runs stronger than before, starts quickly and and has alot more snap throughout the different throttle positions and no more backfire!!:cry: :cry: :cry: I'll post the results of the Dez ride and how she responds out there. I'm riding with my buddy who just got the 05 WR 450. It will be interseting to see the difference as he is only doing the throttle stop, grey wire, air box and baffle. I'm doing my own mods from now on-Not paying the shop rate anymore:mad:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Dan,

Congrats on tieing the knot:cry: -I couldn't wait till the desert so I took my bike out on the street last night!!:cry: The difference in throttle repsonse is awesome with the JD Jetting kit. I had the shop put it in and I gave them the 170 main. I found out later that they put in a 175?? and the zip-ty is 1 1/2 turns out. I am impressed like never before with the response- Great Mod!!!!! I'll try the 175 before changing it. She runs stronger than before, starts quickly and and has alot more snap throughout the different throttle positions and no more backfire!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Des, You have a 175 in there? Hmmmmmmmm Do you know what pilot you have? You just might be on to something... :cry: The only problem I have is a very slight backfire going down hills in gear, that to me sounds like the pilot.

• DesertWR

Posted February 02, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Dan,

It has a 175 main, 48 pilot and 70 starter. I wanted to put in a 72 starter and probably will after my ride this week. I ran her through the gears last night and she didn't miss a beat. What I was looking for was better response in the higher gears-Mainly to throttle over those damn wash outs:mad: Right now I can only say that she screams!!!!! Can't wait to see how the suspension works too. Even the service manager was amazed at the difference with the racetech valving kits!! I rode the bike briefly with the stock pipe. It just felt "constipated". When I put the E2 on it was like giving my bike a dose of ex-lax,cleaned her right out:D I'm sure there are other good pipes, I just like this one and how my bike runs with it. Have you put in the JD kit yet? As the younger guys on TV say: I'm Stoked:D :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.