Red Cap Alternatives? What now? Shell, Castrol?

53 replies to this topic
  • Joe_Jet

Posted February 08, 2005 - 08:25 PM

Pro Circuit runs 0-20 in their 250F's, but I don't know how long they would last in a regular bike.

• WheelsUp

Posted February 08, 2005 - 11:06 PM

And have not had a single problem with my bike. My brother had an 00 426 then an 03 450F and didn't even change oil this frequently. I think you people who change the oil every other ride or so are wasteing $$$.

I'm with you to a degree. I think every other ride is a bit extreme unless you're doing hardcore racing... then again, some guys ride every ride like a race.
OTOH, I think the factory recommendation (600 miles for Yammy!) is a bit extreme in the other direction.
Personally, I wouldn't stress going 200 miles IF I were running synthetic.

This is coming from someone who goes 7,500 between changes on their vehicle... 100k and it doesn't burn a drop, but it has been fed M1 5w30 and M1 filters from 2,000 miles.

When it comes to high performance dirt bikes, some of us subscribe to "better safe than sorry". It costs me $40 to change the oil in my truck with synthetic, so I'll take a high quality lubricant and "chance" going to the factory max interval. It costs me $20 to change the oil and filter on my dirtbike. I can afford to change it once a month.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2005 - 07:13 AM

You guys are WAY too anal about the oil thing. Been riding my 01 426 every weekend (about two tank fulls a weekend) for the past 4 years. Use the cheap(not the R) Yamalube. Change the oil MAYBE every three months(12 rides/24 tank fulls of gas). And have not had a single problem with my bike. My brother had an 00 426 then an 03 450F and didn't even change oil this frequently. I think you people who change the oil every other ride or so are wasteing $$$.

It's true, the 426 is a tough bird. But as a professional car/motorcycle mechanic for 35 years, I've seen a lot of engines that were treated like that. They "never had a problem" either, but when they were opened up for some routine work, or when they finally did need something major, we often found that nearly everything was worn to or just past the servicable limit. Not broke, not ground to bits (well, sometimes), just worn out. The owners were extremely disappointed with the cost of restoring their engine. I'll spend $400 a year to avoid that.

OTOH, I think the factory recommendation (600 miles for Yammy!) is a bit extreme in the other direction.

Not really. If you average 45 mph, which is pretty high, if you really think about it, that's about 13.3 hours. I usually shoot for 10 ( I use ride days, rather than hours, and factor in intensity and conditions, but it comes out to about that). If I'm changing oil more often than I need to, I'm OK with it.

• WheelsUp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:25 PM

Not really. If you average 45 mph, which is pretty high, if you really think about it, that's about 13.3 hours.

Average 45? Yikes... I peak at 45-50 on pavement getting to/from the trail :)
I'm really comfortable at 35 on fire roads, and probably average closer to 15-20.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Average 45? Yikes... I peak at 45-50 on pavement getting to/from the trail :p
I'm really comfortable at 35 on fire roads, and probably average closer to 15-20.

Then 600 miles would be 30 hours. You see my point? :)
I used 45 to avoid having the 18 year-old MXers complain that they go much faster than (*). :)

• WheelsUp

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Then 600 miles would be 30 hours. You see my point? :)
I used 45 to avoid having the 18 year-old MXers complain that they go much faster than (*). :)

Ya, but then my buddy reads this and sends me emails saying "See! I keep telling you that you're too slow!" :p

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I'm not sure there's anything we can do about that. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz426onNOS

Posted February 11, 2005 - 05:50 PM

It's true, the 426 is a tough bird. But as a professional car/motorcycle mechanic for 35 years, I've seen a lot of engines that were treated like that. They "never had a problem" either, but when they were opened up for some routine work, or when they finally did need something major, we often found that nearly everything was worn to or just past the servicable limit. Not broke, not ground to bits (well, sometimes), just worn out. The owners were extremely disappointed with the cost of restoring their engine. I'll spend $400 a year to avoid that.

This is the exact same thing I tell all these people. Glad to see we agree on this. :)

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 18, 2005 - 12:04 PM

They still have red cap. Your just looking on the wrong site.

http://www.prod.mobi...h/oil_15w50.jsp

I don't think the Mobile 1 red cap 15w-50 is discontinued, I just bought 2 gallons of it at Wal-mart and it was in the newer looking container like the gold cap. Red cap was next to the gold cap on the shelf, in gallons as well as in the quart bottle. :)

• WheelsUp

Posted February 22, 2005 - 01:22 AM

I don't think the Mobile 1 red cap 15w-50 is discontinued, I just bought 2 gallons of it at Wal-mart and it was in the newer looking container like the gold cap. Red cap was next to the gold cap on the shelf, in gallons as well as in the quart bottle. :)

Nonononononononono.... :)

The "new" redcap is NOT synthetic!

Now... for you SoCal guys who have plans to ride Ocotillo (as soon as it dries out), the Pep Boys in the north end of El Centro (maybe the only one) has a BUTTLOAD of redcap left on the shelf as of 2/17/05

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 22, 2005 - 08:31 AM

I emailed Mobil 1 and they say that red cap is discontinued and that the oil I bought was stock that they are clearing out.

• BIKE0

Posted February 22, 2005 - 09:49 AM

I run Castro 10-40 regular oil in my yz 450 2005 & have no problems. Why does everyone want those high dollar oils.

• tnl

Posted February 22, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Read your owners manual. Keep in mind that the oil has to be rated for a wet clutch application. Not all labels specify that. Not sure if the letter ratings indicate that like?

• Joe_Jet

Posted February 23, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Mobil 1 MX4T (10w-40) or "V-Twin" (20w-50) are still around. Made from the same M1 base stocks specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches. Also, M1 Truck and SUV is a fleet graded oil that may be usable.

I second the MX4T. It is made for this application. Red cap 15-50 and other auto oils have additives that can cause clutch slippage and don't provide as much protection as the MX4T.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.