Any engine problems with the 03/04 wr450?

5 replies to this topic
  • tmac

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:31 AM

I'm considering to buy a 03 or 04 WR 450. I have heard that the 03 had some engine problems but I have not heard of any specific problem. Are there any reliability issues or problems inharent to either of these years? Thanks

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:51 PM

The 03 had issues with the woodruff key shearing and some trouble in the electric starter area. The case could break etc. Many have added 04 gear and then all this is a non issue. I think thats about it actually. Pretty tough rigs!:cry:

• atomictom

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Thats what I heard as well!:cry:

The 03 had issues with the woodruff key shearing and some trouble in the electric starter area. The case could break etc. Many have added 04 gear and then all this is a non issue. I think thats about it actually. Pretty tough rigs!:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cruise

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:59 PM

I heard of a few people have the primary gear nut come loose.

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 02, 2005 - 02:17 PM

The '03 had a pretty serious problem with the starter drive. Yamaha redesigned it for the '04 and since then there does not seem to be a problem (The '04 parts are retrofittable to the '03). Other than that these motors a very reliable. I have not heard of the primary nut coming loose though I know that is a problem on the DRZ's. I have owned all three generations of 4xx's and all have been nothing but rock solid for me.

• tmac

Posted February 03, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Thanks all of you for your comments. Great information to get started with.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.