I think I stole this bike!

16 replies to this topic
  • Mantrasonica

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Decided to get back into off-road riding after a 20-year hiatus (I know, I'm old!). Looked at lots of used bikes, mostly over-priced beat-up junk. Got a call last week from a friend who said he knew a guy that had a dirt bike that needed carbs but he would sell it cheap. I went and took a look and found it to be an '87 xr600r that looked like it had barely been ridden. The guy said it leaked gas and needed the carbs rebuilt. I figured I could fix the carbs pretty easily so I gave him the $500 he wanted and took it home.

Here's the good part: I wanted to see exactly where it was leaking so I poured some gas in and sure enough, it started leaking out of the drains immediately. I guess the guy never checked to see if the float bowl drains were open (they were!). Closed them and the bike started on the third kick and runs great!:cry:

A buddy of mine offered me almost double what I paid, but I think I'll have a little fun with it.

Thanks for letting me share. Any idea what this bike is really worth? Looks to me like it has less that 1000 miles on it, if that.

Tim

• frankstr

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:34 AM

I don't know what it's really worth, But I thinks you got a smokin deal:thumbsup:
Oh, Wecome to Thumper Talk,It's a great place to hang when your not riden:applause:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:49 AM

It's too bad it's not one year newer when they went to the single carb set up rather than the dual carbs you have. I would imagine it is worth about 1200 to 1500 dollars due to it's age but if you like the bike you will be way ahead to ride it till it drops which would be a long time if your estimation of it's true miles is any where close to reality. Sounds like you got a really good deal.:cry:

• bakeray

Posted February 01, 2005 - 12:05 PM

Thats a great deal...Gives a whole new meaning to ride it like ya stole it:p

• Mantrasonica

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely stoked. And to think I almost bought a new XR for almost $5000. As long as I'm able to obtain replcement parts, I think I'll be riding this one for a long time.

Looks like me and a buddy will be going up to lake silverwood this saturday to try her out on some trails. He rides a quad, but I won't hold it against him.

Tim

• BWB63

Posted February 01, 2005 - 05:07 PM

You sound close to my part of town....So. Cal. I live by 15 miles east of Redlands.

• bluestragler

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:34 PM

I just picked up an almost showroom condition '86 XR600 for a friend for $1500 and considered it a great deal. You did well. I like the twin carbs the best. Properly tuned you can get better MPG at slower speeds, and a bit more top end when needed. Honda eliminated the dual carbs to lower the cost of the bike. While it wasn't a bad move since it also simplified things I would purchase a dual carb model any day. One suggestion, if you plan on keeping it awhile, look for some XR600 cartridge forks ('91 or newer I think). They will compliment the bike nicely and if you shop around you'll find them for less than $150. Whatever you do HAVE FUN!!!

• qadsan

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:50 PM

...Properly tuned you can get better MPG at slower speeds, and a bit more top end when needed...

And you'll also get better off idle throttle response with the dual carbs when properly tuned, but tuning them is a bit much for the average person and sometimes too much for many dealers. How many dealers do you know of that can properly jet a carb, especially an FCR :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:12 PM

It's too bad it's not one year newer when they went to the single carb set up rather than the dual carbs you have. I would imagine it is worth about 1200 to 1500 dollars due to it's age but if you like the bike you will be way ahead to ride it till it drops which would be a long time if your estimation of it's true miles is any where close to reality. Sounds like you got a really good deal.:cry:

For the uninformed, the dual carbs kick ass!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:33 PM

For the uninformed, the dual carbs kick ass!

There are more after market mods designed for the single carb XR600. I know cause I owned a 1987 XR600 which I traded in for my first XR650R. I tried to get a few mods done that Baja Designs told me I could not do, due to the dual carbs. The 600 was a great bike for what it was but I never looked back after owning an XR650R. My carbs were pretty much right on but the bike lacked the punch I was after. XR600's were quite a machine for an air cooled four stroke. They ruled the four stroke roost for many years.:cry: If I had come across the deal you came across I too would have snapped it up with no hesitation. You did get a steal.

• smashinz2002

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:56 PM

Yeah that's an awesome deal man! A good friend of mine bought his '86 XR600 three years ago, from the original owner, bike had only 500 and something miles on it. It was garaged, covered, and looked completely new, plastic, decals, everything was perfect, no paint rub, no visible wear anywhere!
The only problem was that the carbs needed to be removed and cleaned, since they were gummed up badly, but not leaking. My friend paid 2200 for that bike, cleaned up the carbs, replaced the fork oil, crankcase oil, checked the valves and plug, replaced the dry-rotted tires, and air filter, and continues to ride that bike to this day.
He has never had any type of problem with the bike, it's a very solid and reliable machine.
LL.
'00XR650R/uncorked/jetted/street legal
'04KX500/fmfgnarly/vforce reeds

• PWalk100

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:11 PM

I had an 86 XR600 that was an excellent bike. I bought it for 1100 in 1993 and sold it in 97 for 1600. The biggest thing that I had to watch (riding in a lot of mud) was the rear hub. The dual bearg setup is a bit strange and the aluminum screw-in bearing retainer became worn (along with the hub). I put some cartridge emulators in it that helped th front suspension a bit and also did a rebuild with a high comp pistion. I raced a bunch of enduros on it and always had a great time. If you ever rebuild, make sure you get the right rings for the piston, IIRC they are different from the later model rings (or maybe it was the 88-89 rings, I can't remember). Anyway, XR's only sent me the wrong rings and it was only after blowing a bunch of oil that I had to go back in for a new set. Once you get the hot starting drill down, you'll never go wrong. Have fun.

-Phil

• don87xr600

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:20 PM

There are more after market mods designed for the single carb XR600. I know cause I owned a 1987 XR600 which I traded in for my first XR650R. I tried to get a few mods done that Baja Designs told me I could not do, due to the dual carbs. The 600 was a great bike for what it was but I never looked back after owning an XR650R. My carbs were pretty much right on but the bike lacked the punch I was after. XR600's were quite a machine for an air cooled four stroke. They ruled the four stroke roost for many years.:cry: If I had come across the deal you came across I too would have snapped it up with no hesitation. You did get a steal.

name one?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 01, 2005 - 11:35 PM

name one?

I will have to see if I can find my old Baja Designs catalogs when the 600 was the center of their interests. That way I can find what it was i wanted to do with carburation which they told me I couldn't do. They said those mods were limited to the single carb model which was easier to work on. At the time I was just getting started into dirt biking and did not know much about working on them. It was many years ago now. But I think I still have one of the old catalogs around and if I find it, it will jog my memory. It seems to me it had to do with some kind of kit they were offering to enhance performance on the stock bikes carburation. Or it was exhaust related, whichever I could not do it because of the carburation on the 87 bike. What I did do at the time was open the exhaust up with a slip in baffle that Baja Designs marketed for the 600 and then rejetted for the better breathing exhaust. All of this did help giving a few more horsepower.

I look around and see if I can give you a more precise answer. That was 5 1/2 years ago and I only owned the XR600 for 6 months before I traded it in on the 650. My memory is it was a carb issue that prevented me from doing whatever it was their catalog offered. :cry:

This is really bugging me, I looked around for the catalog and all I found so far is a 1985 XR600 Honda shop manual and a Scott Summers booklet on setting up the XR600. I still think I have one of Baja Designs old catalogs though so I will keep looking. I am slowly starting to remember the conversation I had on the phone and I am remembering something about the intake manifold of the duel carb setup being a part of the problem as to why I could not do the mod. But I still can't remember what the mod was I wanted to do.

Still haven't found it but I went to Baja Designs web site thinking I might find something to jog my memory. They do not even list the XR600 as a bike they make things for anymore. What a change 5 years has made. There was a time when the XR600 was the premier bike on their web site.

Oh well, Ill keep looking for the old catalog or maybe this old mans brain will kick in and I will just remember. If not, it ain't the end of the world.

• prairiedawg

Posted February 02, 2005 - 06:30 AM

I've had lots of all kinds of bikes the XR is one of my favorites. They are strong and dependable. I have a couple of DRZ's ar the moment but it don't mean that an XR is anything less than what they were. keep fresh oil and filter changs on them and they last darn near forever, plus they have the easiest to adjust valves on the planet. And yes you found one heck of a deal. prairiedawg:cool: :cry:

• SaltyWalrus

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:05 AM

I bought an 87 XR600 brand new back in 88. Got it for $2400 as a left over. Bike rocked after I uncorked it and straightened out the carbs. Sounds like a steel for $500.

• Mantrasonica

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thanks again for the replies:thumbsup:

Forgot to mention the deal included a decent helmet, riding pants, boots and gloves.

It also has had some work done to it as it has a supertrap pipe and it looks like the airbox has had some extra holes bored into it.

Took it down the street last night and it runs great! Don't think I'll be having any complaints in the power area. Seemed to run a bit fat at idle though. May have to tinker with the air screws or something.

Tim

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.