new guy needz help...

10 replies to this topic
  • KillerPriller

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:17 PM

[color=black]Ok, it breaks down like this. Im pretty new to this whole dirtbiking[/color]

Over the holiday break, I suggested (in passing) to my girlfriends father that we sign up for a local Enduro. Surely, I though, he would back down and take the pass. Well, he called my bluff and now ITS ON!!!

So, anyone care to help me figure out how to ride an enduro?

I purchased a roll chart reader, but not a clue how to read it as I have no roll charts to practice with. Anyone know how I can get a hold of a roll chart for El Mirage or some place where I can practice riding, rolling and navigating?

So, if this thing is based on average speed, I was considering getting a MtBike speedometer to record AVG speed. Think that would help?

I know I need a timer(stop watch). I don’t want to get a computer, but is there any other things I should learn how to use?

This is my list so far…

Tire patch kit,
Extra tube

JB Weld

Tool kit

Duct tape

Clutch perch

Camel back

Cliff bar

Any other recommendations?

• Mescalero

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:23 PM

Please dont take this wrong, but the first thing you need to do is learn how to post clearly.......... my eyes have a headache.

• KillerPriller

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:28 PM

yeah, sorry about that. hopefully that fixed it.

I cut/pasted it from word and it apparently didnt like it. (must be French).

• Desmo

Posted January 31, 2005 - 10:32 PM

I've never ridden an enduro, but around here they have an occasional "family enduro" which , I've heard, are a good introduction to enduro riding. I'll probably sign up for one. They are less competitive, for all ages, still have classes, but have the same format as a normal enduro. Check your local ama chapter.

Cheers

Scott

• CrackiN

Posted February 03, 2005 - 08:09 AM

For average speed you can try this..Cateye 8 It seems there are a few models..It is for a bicycle and about $25.00 or look at www.trailtech.com for the endurance speedo/computer....about $75.00

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1biglung

Posted February 03, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I have never run one either but am interested in the future. Let me know how it goes. Where are you running?

Good Luck

• Moredesert

Posted February 03, 2005 - 01:01 PM

When I first started racing I did 2 Enduros to start with. The start is slow and by groups of 4. I would just try to finish the race and not time out like I did. Stick with your group if you can and see who is in front of you. Because this is a timed race you don't want to be passing the people that started in front of you. They take off more points for being early than late.

I say just ride it like a trial ride and take it easy. Once you see how the races are run than you can worry about your time and avarage speed. For me a finish was a win. I did a D36 race at Clear Creek and we did 80 miles of single track. That in itself was hard enough. With the mud and people getting stuck in front of you will screw everything up. My first race I houred 1/2 way through the race. When I got to check point 4 they told me "Your Done" :cry:

• KillerPriller

Posted February 05, 2005 - 08:51 AM

My first race I houred 1/2 way through the race. When I got to check point 4 they told me "Your Done" :cry:

Moredesert - Thanks for the advice. Everyone is telling me pretty much the same thing, finishing is winning.

But what do you mean by the above? What is "houred"? Now you have my worried.

nk

• Kritter

Posted February 06, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Find a couple A riders and ride on their minute...thats what I did and I took 2nd in my first enduro...would have taken first but couldnt keep pace with them in some of the nasty stuff and it cost me 2 minutes.

A watch, rollchart, as well as an odometer that is readjutable to account for mileage discrepancies and resets.

as for counting on the people ahead of you to be a guide...unless you are on a low minute with expert riders who are going to zero the first 2 loops, you prob will be passing a lot of riders. My first enduro I must have passed the 3-5 minutes in front of me multiple times because they couldnt keep pace.

Go out and have fun...thats what it is all about.

• Kritter

Posted February 06, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Moredesert - Thanks for the advice. Everyone is telling me pretty much the same thing, finishing is winning.

But what do you mean by the above? What is "houred"? Now you have my worried.

nk

If you are more then 60 minutes late to a check...you are DQ'd for "houring out"

If you are more then 15 minutes early to a check you are DQ'd...ive seen it done, usually at the first check.

You always want to try to be in the middle of your minute.

You want to be late to a check...not early. Being early screws up your score real fast!

• Mikie1

Posted February 06, 2005 - 10:39 PM

There are a lot of nuances to enduro's. Some people think enduros are for wimps, but in my opinion, the timekeeping is one of the things that makes 'em so fun. At the top of the ranks, the fastest guy still wins.

"Houred out" means you came in to a check 60 minutes behind schedule. I rode a national enduro where only a couple B riders made it past check 3- about 30 miles into the race. None even started the 2nd loop.

If you are lucky enough to ride with A riders, that's the ticket. But the chance of A riders riding on B or C minutes is next to nil. There's no way you should sign up as an A rider, even if they let you (which is unlikely unless you're already at least a B rider in another racing genre). The A's go first, then the B's, then the C's. Double-A's get mixed-in with A riders, but can't be before minute 20.

IF you're a fast rider, and really good in the technical stuff (be honest with your self-assessment), sign up as a B. Get to the event early, & at sign-up, ask what the LAST B minute is. Ask to be placed on that minute (usually around minute 55). That way you won't have anyone in front of you for a few minutes, maybe even 10 or 15 minutes, depending on the number of riders at the event. I did this for a season with great results. I liked doing it this way because I usually didn't get my entry submitted in time to make it in the draw, and usually the bottlenecks were cleared out before I got there (or the squids that far behind were waiting on the side of the trail with their helmets off). Also, there's at least a five-minute cushion before the first C minute. Chances are there'll be a fast B rider who does this same thing and ends up on your minute. Follow behind him for the first couple checks- see if you can keep up with him in the special tests (where you won't be able to keep up with the speed average).

Sometimes the minute ahead fills up too (which really sucks in the dust), but usually enduro riders are considerate, and don't mind if you "bounce" off them for timekeeping. If you're faster than them in the special tests, they'll usually wave you by. Then just GO like a MF'er 'til you get to the next check. In fact, go as fast as you can 'til 2.9 miles after the next check, or until you see other riders stopped at a mileage reset (very common within the first three miles after a special test).

Minimum, you'll need an odometer that's resettable in tenths forward and backward (not just to "0"), a good readable clock and a rollchart. But in reality, you just won't be competitive without a computer. Most clubs are really tricky with their check placement, and unless you've done it for a while and get to know where the special tests are by the speed averages on the rollcharts or route sheets, you really have to "ride to the possibles"- meaning you go as fast as you can 'til just over 1/10 mile before the next possible checkpoint (they're only on even tenths and at the "top" of a minute; i.e., on a 24 mph speed average there are only checkpoints possible at 0.4 mile intervals).

If all this sounds confusing, IT IS. Best suggestion for your first few enduros is to just think of it as a guided trail ride. If you're riding a BRP and havent' had a lot of racing experience, you should probably sign up as a C. Then, see if you like it, & invest in the proper timekeeping equipment. The ICO Checkmate is the way to go. You don't really need anything else. Feel free to send a pm if you want other tips or suggestions.

Mike

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.