Killer Tranny Question

4 replies to this topic
  • JCCYCLES44

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:50 PM

I Bought My Buddies Old 2000 Wr400 After He Got A New 04 Yz450.
Absolutly Loves, The Handling, Power,suspension,weight, Yep. The Only Thing He Hates Is The 4 Speed In The Bush,tight Trees/trails.
Question: Has Anyone Thought About, Or Tried To Put The Yz To A 5 Speed? From A Wr Tranny?

Maybe I'll Just Ask Mr. Know It All!

Thumps Alot

Jimbo

• yzf450jack

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I did it :cry: and love it:D wr gears will go right in there:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:31 PM

It makes a great swap. You end up with a lower low, the same three in 2,3, and 4 (close anyway) and then a big ol' 5th.

Downside is you need the whole transmission, forks and shift cam for around $700. Nothing interchanges. Still, it's really cool if you ride mostly desert or woods. You'd spend that on a good exhaust system.

• danstorm801

Posted February 01, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Has anyone tried to put a 5 speed tranny from a YFZ (quad) into a YZ 450? Seems that tranny on the YFZ is more of a close ratio.

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2005 - 02:04 PM

I haven't heard of it being done, but if the internal dimensions of the YFZ cases are the same, it seems do-able. But here's my thought on it. The YFZ 5th gear is 1.05:1, the same as the YZ426. The YZ450 4th gear is nearly the same at 1.09:1. So you would have a closer ratio box, but only about the same speed range as you currently have. This is just what Yamaha was trying to get away from when they went to the 4 speed; unnecessarily close trans ratios, and extra shifting. But it might be the ticket for Super Moto.

On the other hand, with the WR, you have a pretty big jump from 1 to 2, then it's the same as the YZ450 for the next 3 gears, then a 5th over that. What I wonder is, could you use the mainshaft and 1st gear wheel from the YZF with the 2nd through 4th of the WR? Then, it really would be like adding a gear on top of the YZ450.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.