Sprocket Size

24 replies to this topic
  • frankstr

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I was wondering what the biggest size rear sprocket you can install with the stock chain.I have the stock 48 tooth rear and I think i would like to go to a 52 tooth sprocket..
Checking the chain stretch ,according to the manual my chain has no measurable stretch,and the sprockets now show no wear to speak of,only a 1000 miles maybe of use.

• big t

Posted January 31, 2005 - 05:23 PM

I went with 13/50 on the stock chain. If you go with a 13 up front and leave the 48 on it would be like a 14/51. One tooth down on the front is like 3 up on the rear.

• roadcam

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:06 PM

you want to keep an eye on the chain guide and swingarm rub plates with the different sprockets...quite possibly they will wear out much faster with the chain rubbing more ...

• frankstr

Posted February 01, 2005 - 05:08 AM

That was one of my concerns,the chain guide & slider..
I wonder if a 50 tooth would make much differnce in gearing and not cause excessive wear of the chain guide :cry:

• jcoyne97222

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:30 AM

This is a question I am wondering about as well. I find myself needing to be in between 1st and 2nd when riding tight trails and rarely getting into 5th. I'm looking for advice on how much change would be needed to make a difference. I would like to be able to stick with the stock chain as well. JC

• TimBrp

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:40 AM

I went to a 14/51 ratio last year. I dropped it down to a 14/50 this year. The 14/51 was mint for riding. However, I have an Xr's only chain guard and slider and it chewed them up good. Also it through off my chain adjustment. I had to cut a chain to size and then had to leave my chain blocks extended further than I wanted to until I could take another link out of the chain. So it made my bike feel like it was really long in the turns. I went to a 14/50 and like it so far. No real difference.

• frankstr

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:02 AM

Timbrp,do ya feel that the 50 tooth made the gearing lower....
I ride tite trails and wanted to slow it down a little more going down steep hills:excuseme:

• big t

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:13 AM

This is a question I am wondering about as well. I find myself needing to be in between 1st and 2nd when riding tight trails and rarely getting into 5th. I'm looking for advice on how much change would be needed to make a difference. I would like to be able to stick with the stock chain as well. JC

13/50 is great and I have been running it for a year now. That is the lowest you can go without cutting the stock chain. If it wears the slider on the swingarm or guide more it is not all that much and the sliders can be bought for around $50 (OEM) or so. Do it you will love it.

• big t

Posted February 01, 2005 - 08:15 AM

By the way the bike will still do 80 mph or so with the 13/50. That's plenty fast for the terrain I ride.:cry:

• TimBrp

Posted February 01, 2005 - 09:44 AM

Timbrp,do ya feel that the 50 tooth made the gearing lower....
I ride tite trails and wanted to slow it down a little more going down steep hills:excuseme:

Definitely. Just get a good chain and two steel sprockets at 14,50. You'll be happy you did it. You can just put it in 3rd(drive) and go. Lugging up hills and then nail it and she'll be right there. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted February 01, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I went with the 13/48 combo and it worked great in the tight stuff. A lot less shifting and a lot less stalling. I rarely touched the clutch. 3rd gear and go.

I could also then switch to 14/45 for riding in Mexico with the same chain.:cry:

:cry:

• bakeray

Posted February 01, 2005 - 12:01 PM

I put a 13 on the front of mine and left the rear alone. Same as jack attack said...Less shifting and alot less stalls. Works great for where I ride

• frankstr

Posted February 01, 2005 - 12:34 PM

With the 13 tooth front , Is that harder on the the slider???

• big t

Posted February 02, 2005 - 12:41 AM

I have been running a 13T on the front for a year and don't see any abnormal wear.:cry:

• bakeray

Posted February 02, 2005 - 01:05 AM

I havent seen any wear on mine yet but ive only had it on for about 3 rides. I did notice the bike seems a little more wheelie happy now:D

• jcoyne97222

Posted February 02, 2005 - 07:31 AM

That's what I was looking for. I don't need to go a fast as the stock gearing will go. I also want to be able to lug for real big hills. Riding in the mountains in Oregon the stock gearing seems to high. Thanks

• J_T

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I ran 13/50 and loved it!

On some different trails that were faster I thought I'd change the front b/c its quick and easy but I couldn't fit 14/50 on stock chain. So I had to remove the rear wheel and put my 48 back on.

When i gear down next time I think I will just change just the front sproket and ride with 13/48 to see how that works b/c it can be changed real quick without removal of the rear wheel, just adjusting the tension of the chain!

(Front sprockets are cheap too compaired to rear)

I have no unusual wear on slider due to my past 13/50.

We'll see how 13/48 does!

i'd suggest try a 13 front first and if you want more add 50 rear b/c going 1 size down in front is more of a change than 2 up in the rear! 14/50 wouldn't be enough for our woods.

My opinion

JT

• BIGGITY

Posted February 02, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Go 15/47 and hold onto your shorts. 100 m.p.h + easily. Almost shat myself last weekend in the washes at Ocatillo. A buddy clocked his bike at 94 m.p.h on his GPS and I was pulling away from him pretty quick. GPR stabalizer on "6" setting and hold the f**k on! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :devil:

• SaltyWalrus

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I like the stock 14/48 for tight stuff + limited dual sporting. I am already looking for 6th gear on the road. Taller gearing in the woods helps mellow out the low end and keep in controllable. Timbrp, maybe if we manage to hook up this spring, I can try yours and be convinced otherwise.

• JackAttack

Posted February 02, 2005 - 10:56 AM

With the 13 tooth front , Is that harder on the the slider???

It is definately harder on the slider. It will take a long time to wear though. Took me close to 3000 gnarly miles.

You really have to look close to find where it is wearing. Get on your hands and knees and look under the very front of the swingarm.

When my slider wore out I just bought another from Service Honda, no big deal.

:cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.