'01 426 to '05 250f

8 replies to this topic
  • Blue ARC

Posted January 31, 2005 - 03:14 PM

I have had a 01 426 for about 2 years now and love it. I does have a lot of power which I don't use all of. I'm getting the itch for a new bike. I was thinking of the 250f. Would I really miss the power of my 426 and get bored with the 250f.

I do a bit of motocross with my buddies and a little trail too. I'm 5' 10" and about 175lbs

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 31, 2005 - 03:40 PM

You'll be happy. Like you said you dont use all the power on your 426 so a 250F would most likely make you happy. If you know anyone with a 250F I highly suggest you ride it so you can get a feel for it. Its not as big and heavy as the 426 so you'd be able to be more agile with the bike.

You'll also be pretty happy with the power of the bike, its a performer. And if you ever do want more boost you can get a big-bore kit or porting, etc.

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:07 PM

You wont miss anything on the track on the 250F. Did the same thing over christmas, went from the 426 to 05 250F. Coming off the 426 helps on the 250F cause you are not afraid to use the power. You do have to setup for jumps a bit sooner, but nothing hard to overcome with the new bike.

handling and braking is WORLDS better along with the new suspension and ergos.

I could not be happier on the switch, but I am doing MX only now.

• Wyatt

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I say ride one first before you make your decision. I have a '04 450 and my brother just bought an '05 250f. This is the first 250f I have ridden. Yes, it is lighter and easy to move around and turn, but the power is night and day diferent than the big bore. I'll keep my 450, but thats just me. You may like the 250F better, who knows. But, they are very different, so give one a try first to be sure wat you want before you plop down nearly 6k.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GetSumBaby

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:34 PM

I say ride one first before you make your decision. I have a '04 450 and my brother just bought an '05 250f. This is the first 250f I have ridden. Yes, it is lighter and easy to move around and turn, but the power is night and day diferent than the big bore. I'll keep my 450, but thats just me. You may like the 250F better, who knows. But, they are very different, so give one a try first to be sure wat you want before you plop down nearly 6k.

I was thinking of getting a new 250f also. I rode my buddies 250f last weekend and couldnt imagine going from the power of my bike to a 250. It was night and day. It didnt have the hit mine does and I felt really small. You need to ride one first!!

Ed

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 31, 2005 - 09:24 PM

Just wait until someone on a 250F outrides you all day, cuts corners sharper and out jumps you on your 450. They are much easier to ride and handle better.

• GetSumBaby

Posted February 01, 2005 - 06:45 AM

Just wait until someone on a 250F outrides you all day, cuts corners sharper and out jumps you on your 450. They are much easier to ride and handle better.

I re-valved my suspension, which made it handle outstanding. Im in good shape and none of my freinds can outride me. And since I got my Rekluse auto-clutch - they can not out turn me.

The group of guys I ride with ride CR250, YZ250F, KTM450, and another YZ450. I guess its all about knowing your bike and being in good enough shape to ride it hard. Im a little luckier than most - I get to ride 3-5 times a week :cry: . Im in my mid 30's and ride with guys younger than me - but I do run and lift a little weights every night. If I didnt do that, I would have more of a problem.

Ed
Practice makes perfect

• Wyatt

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Just wait until some fast kid on an 85 blows by you. Does that mean you should downsize to an 85?? They would be much easier to ride??:cry:

The 450 has the potential to be the fastest bike on the track. Whether you can ride it or not is up to you.

• jay_ch28

Posted February 01, 2005 - 07:55 AM

I would and I did make the switch! I went from an 03 YZ450 to an 03 YZ250f last year. The trails I rode were very tight and in many sections I would be slipping the clutch in 1st gear to prevent stalling. I also will never use all the power a 450 has. I will say that at the sand tracks (Southwick) the 250f is lacking. But the greatest thing about that bike from my point of view was that I could race it in every class (125 250 Open). Plus i felt that I was getting lazy on the 450, especially in the corners. I'd let the power of the bike pull me out of them insead of attacking the corners and being smooth. Lastly, you'll probably find that you can ride agressively on a 250f much longer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.