XR650R lighting troubles-please help

5 replies to this topic
  • RdrMtn

Posted January 31, 2005 - 06:00 AM

I bought an '01 XR650r this weekend and both the headlight and taillight are not working. I know that electricity will flow through both assemblies by using my tester on the two wires that feed the lights. This is the extent of my electrical abilities. I would really appreciate any advice.

• TimBrp

Posted January 31, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Not to sound silly but are the bulbs burnt out? My 650's stock light burnt out quick.

• RdrMtn

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:05 AM

No, the bulbs aren't burned out. As I said, I get continuity through both assemblies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moleculo

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Check the AC regulator/wiring harness/stator connections under the seat. From the regulator (metal finned thing on the airbox) there are two double-female connectors, one green and one white w/ yellow stripe. Verify that they are both plugged into the green and white/yellow wires (all males) from the stator and stock harness. If any of these connectors are unplugged the lights won't work.

• RdrMtn

Posted January 31, 2005 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, I'll look at that, but I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in.

• HairyScary

Posted February 05, 2005 - 05:00 PM

If you unplug the wires that come from the motor and go to the aluminum finned thingy (regulator) and use an AC voltmeter on the wires from the engine, there should be about 14 Volts AC at idle and upwards of 50 VAC when revved up. This will tell you if the stator in the motor is still generating electricity. You can touch a headlight across the leads at idle as well to load test it, but don't bring up the revs as without a regulator, the voltage will rise past what the bulb can handle and you will be buying another one...

If the regulator is a dud, then there are probably lots of spares to be had for cheap, as the popular dual sport kit from BD has you remove the stock one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.